unable to resolve class net.sf.jasperreports.compilers.GroovyEvaluator

I'm using Jasper Studio 5.5.1 trying to open my .JRXML files which were created using iReport 5.5.0.

The reports are working correctly in iReport, in Jasper Studio I create a brand new Jasper project and copy the JRXML files in. However I come across the following error when trying to compile:

net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JRException: Errors were encountered when compiling report expressions class file:
org.codehaus.groovy.control.MultipleCompilationErrorsException: startup failed:
calculator_Receipt_1397035857101_637810: 18: unable to resolve class net.sf.jasperreports.compilers.GroovyEvaluator 
 @ line 18, column 1.
calculator_Receipt_Receipt_1397035857101_637810: 18: unable to resolve class net.sf.jasperreports.compilers.GroovyEvaluator 
 @ line 18, column 1.
calculator_Receipt_dataset1_1397035857101_637810: 18: unable to resolve class net.sf.jasperreports.compilers.GroovyEvaluator 
 @ line 18, column 1.
3 errors

at net.sf.jasperreports.compilers.JRGroovyCompiler.compileUnits(JRGroovyCompiler.java:113)
at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.design.JRAbstractCompiler.compileReport(JRAbstractCompiler.java:201)
at net.sf.jasperreports.eclipse.builder.JasperReportCompiler.compileReport(JasperReportCompiler.java:172)
at com.jaspersoft.studio.editor.preview.view.control.ReportControler.compileJasperDesign(ReportControler.java:398)
at com.jaspersoft.studio.editor.preview.view.control.ReportControler.access$14(ReportControler.java:386)
at com.jaspersoft.studio.editor.preview.view.control.ReportControler$4.run(ReportControler.java:319)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)

I check my class path and Jasper Libraries is included. I suspect the Groovy evaluator is needed for expressions such as:

<variable name="isRent" class="java.lang.Boolean">
  <variableExpression><![CDATA[$F{allocation_charge_category}.equals("Rent") ? Boolean.TRUE : $V{isRent}]]></variableExpression>
  <initialValueExpression><![CDATA[Boolean.FALSE]]></initialValueExpression>
</variable>
Please advice if there is a work around or did I miss anything in my setup.
yun.zhi.lin's picture

According to this (https://stackoverflow.com/a/43354536/1152679) answer from StackOverflow, you have to

replace groovy for a more recent version.

Delete TIBCOJaspersoftStudio-x.x.x.final/plugins/groovy-all_2.4.5.jar

and replace for groovy-2.4.12/embeddable/groovy-all-2.4.12.jar

This works for me.

atilacamurca - 1 year 5 months ago

2 Answers:

I was able to resolve this by removing:

language="groovy"

in my JRXML file

yun.zhi.lin's picture

groovy as you're using language validation. The library JASPER REPORT used a class that is not in the jars,

to solve this problem switch to java, in the report properties

hermy991 - 5 years 1 week ago

Switching to Java when Groovy is a supported feature isn't really a correct fix. The issue is caused by Jasper Studio 5.5.1 which didn't have the correct jars. Groovy is working correctly which I upgraded to Jasper Studio 5.5.2

yun.zhi.lin - 4 years 11 months ago

Did you ever find a solution to this? I'm having the same problem with 6.0, I can't get rid of the language="groovy" parameter as I'm actually using expressions written in Groovy (if I get rid of it, it seems to default back to Java, causing expression compilation errors).

cameron_1 - 4 years 3 months ago

groovy as you're using language validation. The library JASPER REPORT used a class that is not in the jars,

to solve this problem switch to java, in the report properties

hermy991's picture
Feedback
randomness