Changes to the Jaspersoft community edition download ×

Some text missing on reports after JasperReports version upgrade

tauren

I recently attempted to upgrade from JasperReport 4.0.1 to 5.1.0. At this time I also added a maven task to automatically compile the reports, as we had been doing that manually before. The reports jrxml did not change (except a bunch of uuid attributes were added to elements). I'm using JasperReports directly in a webapp, I'm not using JasperServer. The reports are created in iReports, but often the jrxml is tweaked by hand.

Many of the reports worked perfectly fine after the update. But a couple reports would not show some of the text. On my local dev machine, all text was output correctly. But on the production server, some of the text would show and other text would not.

After removing all of the uuid attributes (hint: sed 's/(.*) uuid="[^"]*"(.*)/12/' ) and downgrading back to 4.0.1, the reports once again work on both my dev system and in production.

I attempted to see if there was any differences in the text fields in an attempt to determine why some would show and other would not. I had long ago already converted all fonts to SanSerif from DejaVu, but I confirmed again that only SanSerif was in use. I couldn't find anything really different between the fields that would show up and the fields that would not in the jrxml.

My dev machine is Mac OSX 10.7.5 and this java version "1.6.0_51"

java version "1.6.0_51"
Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_51-b11-457-11M4509)
Java HotSpot 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.51-b01-457, mixed mode)

The server is an older Ubuntu distro (not sure which release, but probably 2 or 3 years old) and has the following Java version:

java version "1.6.0_18"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.8.1) (6b18-1.8.1-0ubuntu1~9.10.1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 16.0-b13, mixed mode)
I found this question that very well might be related to the issue I'm experiencing:
http://community.jaspersoft.com/questions/800262/reports-are-output-text-missing

UPDATE: I've determined that the problem was not present in version 4.7.1 or earlier, but does exist in 4.8.0 and later. Something changed between these two versions that is causing text to not show up in my reports. At this time, I've upgraded prod to be using 4.7.1, but I'd like to bring it current to 5.2.0.

I have verified that my reports work successfully on the following versions: 4.0.1, 4.5, 4.6, 4.7.1
I have verified that my reports DO NOT work properly on the following versions: 4.8, 5.1.0, 5.2.0

I added the following to the problem reports, and it was present during my tests of all the above versions:

<property name="net.sf.jasperreports.awt.ignore.missing.font" value="true"/>[/code]

Any ideas why this would work on my development machine, but not on production? Could Jasper be attempting to use a graphics device which isn't configured on the server?

Here is the changelog for version 4.8. I've bolded the enhancement that I suspect might be causing the problem:

JasperReports Library 4.8.0 Change Log

• enhanced interactivity in the table component, with support for conditional formatting 
    of values in a column;

• support for style providers as pluggable extensions, to control report element styling 
    depending on report data at runtime; a default style provider implementation is available, 
    allowing the use of expression based custom properties at report element level, to control 
    each style attribute, including backcolor, forecolor, font, borders style, etc;

• added support for markers to the built-in map component, along with other new map level 
    settings such as type of map, image type and language (I18n support);

• version support added to the JRXmlWriter utility class to allow generating source JRXML format 
    for older versions of the library, including support for versioning of custom components markup;

• support for custom $X{} functions in queries, which can be plugged in as extensions;

• added support for relative date ranges used as input parameters in parametrized queries;

• minor bug fixes and improvements;

I posted a bug report here:

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days