We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Triggering Alerts

brian_3

I am trying to create a "trigger" where a user can be alerted if a value in a AWS database falls outside a specified range. For example, if the reported level of widgets is below a min or above a max then I want a specific alert to be raised. The threshold values are themselves stored in a AWS database record hence I need a way to run the check.

I am rather new to all this hence any pointers as to where I start to look to build this functionality would be appreciated, very much appreciated.

Thankyou for your time.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This functionality is not in the JasperReports Server - neither community nor the commercial editions (including the Amazon Marketplace editions).

Jaspersoft has been discussing alerting for a while, and there are many elements.

How do you specify what data needs to be watched, what is a threshold and what to do when a threshold is exceeded? Who needs to specify - a develolper type or an end user?

When do you check thresholds - in real time, in batch at a particular time?

Sherman

Jaspersoft

To build on Sherman's response, I want to suggest an option that fulfills some simple use cases.

The idea is to create a parameterized report that tests your trigger criteria. For example, "select fields from table where num_widgets > $P{paramValue}". Schedule the report to run as frequently as you want to check for the condition. Set the desired output format (e.g., PDF etc) and fill in the Email Notification boxes.

The trick is to click the Skip Empty Reports checkbox on the bottom of the Output Settings page. The report will run as frequently as you indicate in the schedule, but the email recipients are only notified when the report is not empty, e.g., the query returns results that meet the "trigger" criteria.

I hope this helps. 

Mary Flynn

Jaspersoft