Hive connection - Data Preview/Read error

Hi,

Although my connection to hive succeeds including reading of field names but when I try to query/preview the data - we get the following error:

java.lang.NullPointerException
    at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.query.JRJdbcQueryExecuter.createStatement(JRJdbcQueryExecuter.java:314)
    at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.query.JRJdbcQueryExecuter.createDatasource(JRJdbcQueryExecuter.java:196)
    at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillDataset.createQueryDatasource(JRFillDataset.java:1086)
    at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillDataset.initDatasource(JRFillDataset.java:667)
    at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRBaseFiller.setParameters(JRBaseFiller.java:1258)
    at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRBaseFiller.fill(JRBaseFiller.java:877)
    at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFiller.fill(JRFiller.java:126)
    at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JasperFillManager.fill(JasperFillManager.java:464)
    at com.jaspersoft.studio.data.reader.DatasetReader.start(Unknown Source)
    at com.jaspersoft.studio.property.dataset.dialog.DataPreviewTable$4.run(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)

saigalr's picture
Which version are you on? I just successfully made a Hive report in studio 1.3.3
ernestoo - 7 years 8 months ago
1.3.3 the connection is successful but the retrieving/preview the data returns the above mentioned error
saigalr - 7 years 8 months ago

2 Answers:

Hi,
I'm pretty sure that the reason you are getting this exception is because in the "Language" combo box there is the SQL one selected.
Please choose "HiveQL". This should solve your problem.

Let me know.
Best regards,
Massimo.

mrabbi's picture

Solution - Works !!

Will the same work if I connect to impala over port 21000 ?

Hi,
I think it should work.
However I'll point to this topic someone who works everyday with BigData stuff.
Maybe he had the chance to test it in the past and can for sure give you a more detailed answer.

Best regards,
Massimo.

P.S: just in case, did you give it a try?

mrabbi - 7 years 8 months ago

hi,

I did give it a try. Although the connection was successful but the connection over port 21000 or rather impala does not return any data.

show 3 more...

Impala is not tested with the Jaspersoft Hive Connector. Impala "works like Hive". So in principle it should just work. Your test was reasonable. But it's easy to imagine the possibility of version conflicts with these technologies. Jaspersoft will certainly test with Impala, but an exact timeline is not established yet.

mdahlman - 7 years 8 months ago

Thanks! Will look out for an update once the same has been tested with Impala

Any news since ? I have tried to connect with Impala, it still doesn't work. I've got some issues too with CDH Hive 0.10.x. It won't connect to Hiveserver2 i think. Has anyone tried with a CDH 4.2.X distribution ?

nphung - 7 years 4 months ago

Hi,

I am facing the same issue of null pointer exception.

and even I make the Language HiveQL the error is same, do we need to configure jasper in some other aspects like driver and all?

also there is somethingh like hive -e ' query goes here'. I tried doing this to, but did'nt worked for me.

Please help.

Regards,

Rishabh Shah

rishabh.shah2659's picture
Feedback