We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

iReport is too slow

frankiesoftware

Hi,

I have downloaded iReport 4.5.0 some days ago and read the iReport as well as Jasper report pdf guide. Now, I'm ready to design my first report using iReport but it is very very slow. I'm using a brand new pc with a lot of RAM but it is slow anyway.

So, is it normal that iReport is so slow?

Thank you for any information that couold help me to improve performances of this utility.

Frank.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Frankie,

If you go to your iReport installation directoy and edit de "ireport.conf" file which is inside "etc" folder you will see the following line:

default_options="-J-Xms24m -J-Xmx512m

The -Xmx option sets the maximun memory asigned for java (Java Heap Space), increasing this iReport should run faster.  You can try increasing to 1024m and if this doen't work you can try with 2048 (note that if you set this space while you are running iReport will take 2Gb of RAM). After editting the file you have to close iReport and start it again to take this modification.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Hi Augarte,

Thank you for that information it helped me. Thank you.

Now it is faster but I think it could be faster.

Here are the maximum values I were able to set (else iReport does not start at all):

-J-Xms512m -J-Xmx1024m

Do you know why I cannot ad a higher value in the J-Xms parameter?

Frank.

I am glad I have found this topic because I was about to submit a bug report about this.. but before I will try your settings.

I have a very complex iReport, and making an preview of the report takes about 6 minutes, altough on the production environment a LAMP setup with Tomcat and PHP JavaBridge takes just about 11 segs.

See images attached so that you can have an idea.

What is very strange in this, it is the preview that consumes a lot of CPU and memory.

You can see the pattern of the Task Manager for a better picture.

Does anyone has this kind of problem?

Hi Sanda,

WOW !!!

This version 4.5.1 has really accelarated the preview!  I really mean it...

Now the preview has the same performance as the production environment and consumes less CPU and memory.

See image attached!

This was annoying me for quite some time    : )

Post Edited by robccsilva at 03/19/2012 21:36

• 4 months later...

Hello everyone:

Although I have changed the memory to ireport in several times :

-J-Xms24m -J-Xmx1024m  

-J-Xms256m -J-Xmx1024m 

It didn't have any change, it is keep very slow when you push any key, the mouse,,,,When

you mark any element and so on.

My computer has 2 GB of memory RAM and I have the 3.7.3. version I need only this version.

Thanks

Post Edited by josemm at 08/09/2012 10:37

Hi, 

The Xms option sets the initial heap size. Changing this maybe doesn't affect you so you need to change the Xmx option, which is the maximum heap size. Try putting the following: 

-J-Xms256m -J-Xmx2048m

This way the heap size you can use will be 2GB and iReport should be faster.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Aitor 

• 1 month later...

I've been suffering the slowness of iReport for several months working with a huge report.

I've tried everything, even using JasperSoft Studio (which went a bit faster), but could never use the designer with a speed as when you're using Word.

Today I've discovered JasperWave (www.jasperwave.com) which goes really fast! So I recommend you to try JasperWave.