Changes to the Jaspersoft community edition download ×

How to fill a Text Field with RTF content/style

fibrecrm

I am trying to add a field to a report which prints six pages of formatted text (terms and conditions of sale).  I tried adding a "Static Text" field but this does not expand the field vertically at compilation time.  I have therefore added a "Text Field" to the Summary section of a report as this type of object can expand (Print When detail Overflows).

I have set the "Markup" properties of the Text Field to RTF but am unsure where to paste the RTF content.  I tried adding it to the "Edit Expression" and tried adding it to the "Print When Expression" with no luck on both counts.  I've tried enclosing the RTF code in quotes " " but I just see errors.

The RTF info is static text that does not exist in a database field (each report should contain the same text).

Is what I'm trying to do possible?  If it is, does anyone have any pearls of wisdom they can share with me about how to achieve this.  Basically the report is an invoice which contains 6 pages of formatted terms and conditions.

Many thanks

Simon

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just put some html into a TextField as a parameter.  So RTF should be the same just a different TextField Markup setting.

You can load Parameters with Default Values. So I suppose If you have the RTF content as a File you can load the file as an inputstream and print it trough that TextField.

The TextField:

<textField isStretchWithOverflow="true" isBlankWhenNull="false">
                <reportElement positionType="Float" x="0" y="54" width="227" height="15"/>
                <textElement markup="html">
                    <font fontName="Times New Roman" size="12"/>
                </textElement>
                <textFieldExpression><![CDATA[$P{paramNameForYourContent}]]></textFieldExpression>
</textField>

And setting that Parameter using a oneliner from StackOverFlow to convert inputstream to string:

<parameter name="paramNameForYourContent" class="java.lang.String" isForPrompting="false">
        <defaultValueExpression><![CDATA[(new java.util.Scanner(new java.io.FileInputStream(new java.io.File("C:\SomePlace\pathandFilenametoYour.html")))).useDelimiter("\A").next()]]></defaultValueExpression>
</parameter>

You should just need to change the markup to RTF and load your RTF document. I tested this to work with some html in a file.

Post Edited by miqu at 11/08/2011 16:30

Thanks for your response and help with this.  Much appreciated.

I am seeing errors when compiling the report.  The report is set to Groovy but I have also tried Java.  When set to Java I see the error "Invalid Unicode".  When set to Groovy the error is "....Startup Failed.  General Error during parsing: Did not find four digit hex character code...."

I have created a parameter

<parameter name="parameter1" class="java.lang.String" isForPrompting="false">
        <parameterDescription><![CDATA[]]></parameterDescription>
        <defaultValueExpression><![CDATA[(new java.util.Scanner(new java.io.FileInputStream(new java.io.File("C:\users\SouthwestCRM\test.html")))).useDelimiter("\A").next()]]></defaultValueExpression>
    </parameter>

I have created a TextField

<reportElement x="18" y="12" width="518" height="20" isPrintWhenDetailOverflows="true"/>
                <textElement markup="html"/>
                <textFieldExpression><![CDATA[$P{parameter1}]]></textFieldExpression>

Ultimately I would like the HTML/RTF to be embedded in the report rather than linked to a file on my PC or if this is not possible then to place on a website somewhere since the report will eventually run within a JasperServer web app.

I'm not sure where to look to resolve this.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have the same problem.. /tools/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/msn/cry_smile.gif

Do you know in witch iReport version included the "markup=html" property on textElement?  (I am using iReports 2.0.2, and i can´t see that property...)

I am using jdk 1.4.2_12 version. Dou you know waht is the maximun iReport version that support java 1.4?

Thank you and best regards! /tools/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/msn/wink_smile.gif

Thanks!, although very few html tags works properly:

If i put text "Hello <U>my</U> friend." it render "Hello friend"..

"<b>" neither works, and "<p>"  render as "<br><br>".

Do you know how to solve this?

I mark stick in "Styled text" property and "Markup=html"

Thanks you!!

I solve myself enclosing  text in Xml node with "<![CDATA["

The only HTML tags avalaible are:

• <b>
  • <u>
  • <i>
  • <font>
  • <sup>
  • <sub>
  • <li>
  • <br>

Here is the list:

jasperforge.org/uploads/publish/jasperreportswebsite/trunk/sample.reference/styledtext/index.html

And here a explain of how to use "Styled Text":

jasperreports.sourceforge.net/sample.reference/markup/index.html

Post Edited by perkas at 11/22/2011 08:32

Ok, so I have it working when referencing a file on my local pc.  Now I have uploaded the report to Jasperserver I would like to point to a web location for the RTF file.  How best to do this?  Can I upload the RTF file as a resource to the report?  If I place it on a website somewhere, then how to reference it within the report?

Currently it works like:

<defaultValueExpression><![CDATA[(new java.util.Scanner(new java.io.FileInputStream(new java.io.File("C:\\Users\\contract.rtf")))).useDelimiter("\\A").next()]]></defaultValueExpression>

I would like something like:

<defaultValueExpression><![CDATA[(new java.util.Scanner(new java.io.FileInputStream(new java.io.File("http://www.somewhere.com/contract.rtf")))).useDelimiter("\\A").next()]]></defaultValueExpression>

Is the issue an escape sequence or do I need to use a different java.io function to reference a file on the web?

Thanks!

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi All,

I use below process

<reportElement x="18" y="12" width="518" height="20" isPrintWhenDetailOverflows="true"/>
                <textElement markup="rtf"/>
                <textFieldExpression><![CDATA[$P{parameter1}]]></textFieldExpression>

But I got only text, How I can export graphics content (Image, Table) with text ?

Thanks,