We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

How to output the result by using charAt() ??

lucif3r

In my DB, the contents in the field will be like RMT0092X032_01AB , but I want to use charAt() func to judge the 8th character.

if character is X  then in report, the field is Low

if character is Y, then in field is Mid

if char is Z then is High in the field.

Anyone can show me how to write the code? Using Scriptlet is a good option?

Snytax, please.

Thanks, everyone. M too green to Java....

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suggestion only for lowerCase / upperCase.

Create var : V1, classType: java.lang.Character, expression: new Character(yourFildName.chartAt(7))

Create another var : V2, classType: java.lang.String, expression:

$V{V1}.toString().equalsIgnoreCase("X") ? {yourFildName}.toLowerCase() : {yourFildName}.toUpperCase()

drag V2 on your band.  Mind  Eval. time !

For Mid print,  create field using smaller fonts with printWhenExpression.

I hope it will works...

Errr, I did not mean Uppercase or Lowercase. I just want the output is "High" , "Mid", and "Low"

In Java, the logic suppose to be like this:

if field.chatAt( 7 ).equalsIgnoreCase("X")

output("Low")

else

if  field.charAt( 7 ).equalsIgnoreCase("Y")

output ("Mid")

else

output("High")

I don't know why, when I use .charAt() func, the number in quotes always underlined, marked as an error.

I change the lang from Groovy to Java, but it is still there.

By the way, I use iReport 4.0.1

Thanks for the reply, I will keep trying.

Post Edited by lucif3r at 04/19/2011 01:00

This should work for you.

$F{field}.length() < 7 ? "Unknown" : $F{field}.toUpperCase().charAt(7) == 'X' ? "Low" : $F{field}.toUpperCase().charAt(7) == 'Y' ? "Mid" : "High"

Added the field length check up front to make sure the charAt index doesn't fail if the string doesn't have an index of 7.

I tried. But I can not preview the report I generate. I click "preview", it will flash back to designer GUI.

But if I remove this expression, it will be fine. I can preview my report normally.

Very weird...

Post Edited by lucif3r at 04/21/2011 04:53

Not sure what to say, to verify the syntax I put together a quick sample report,  same statement, I just changed the position of of the character I'm looking for and the character to find.  In my example I am looking for the character 0 and 1 in the 11 position of the text and displaying found 0 or found 1 depending on which character exists. See attached sample.

This was the expression I used.

$F{host_name}.length() < 11 ? "Unknown" : $F{host_name}.toUpperCase().charAt(10) == '0' ? "Found 0" :$F{host_name}.toUpperCase().charAt(10) == '1' ? "Found 1" : "Not Found"

I typically don't preview within iReport because most of my data is coming from a java class in our application, have you tried running outside of iReport preview natively in the application you normally view reports in?  are there any error messages displayed on compile or execution?

Post Edited by jpauze at 04/21/2011 14:55

Thanks, jpauze. i will try again.

I am new to iReport, obviously, so 

$F{host_name}.length() < 11 ? "Unknown" : $F{host_name}.toUpperCase().charAt(10) == '0' ? "Found 0" :$F{host_name}.toUpperCase().charAt(10) == '1' ? "Found 1" : "Not Found"

this is the expression for the textField, right, or this is the expression for Variable? I remember if it is for variable, it supposed to have "new" keyword, right?