We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

RTL language support

c_sbg

Hello,

I am definitely no expert when it comes to jasperReports but we are running a system that uses it to create some pdf reports with table data. These report implementations are I guess 3-5 years old and there has not been many changes to them, the reports are actually still running jasperReports version 1.2.1.

No we have got the requirement to support Hebrew and Arabic languages which are written right-to-left (RTL). Changing our html web gui has been proven to be quite easy but the task to change the pdf-reports remains and I have som questions:

• I guess a good start is to upgrade to a current version of JasperReports. Is that recommended for RTL? Is it a big task to upgrade? Are there any good step-by-step upgrade descriptions available?
  • Has anyone made a succesful change of reports to a RTL language? What are the required steps? Any unsolved problems? I guess you have to have a separate set of report definition files as the overall direction RTL can't be set on document level from what I have read, is this correct?

Any hints are appreciated!

regards

/Christian

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

One of the main points when upgrading is that the newer JR versions are no more backward compatible with jdk 1.3 or 1.4. If your app do use jdk 1.5 or later, then upgrading to JR 3.7.4 shouldn't represent a problem.

The last version backward compatible with jdk 1.4 was JR 3.7.1.

Concerning the RTL languages, please take a look at the unicode sample provided with the project source files, where can be found some texts written in RTL languages.

Hope this helps,

sanda