We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

js-export.sh Out of Memory

nennikers

I'm trying to upgrade JasperServer 3.1 to JasperServer 3.5 (and ultimately, JasperServer 3.7). When I run js-export.sh as instructed in the manual, I always receive the error "Error occurred during initialization of VM; Could not reserve enough space for object heap; Could not create the Java virtual machine."

I have <TOMCAT>/bin/setenv.sh: set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Xms128m -Xmx512m -XX:PermSize=32m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -Xss2m -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled -XX:+CMSPermGenSweepingEnabled

When I stop Tomcat (<TOMCAT>/bin.shutdown.sh), I get the same Out of Memory Error.

Tomcat Server Status shows JVM with:

Free memory 1.85 MB (!!!!!!)

Total memory: 34.11 MB

Max memory: 63.56 MB

Server Info:

OK - Server infoTomcat Version: Apache Tomcat/5.5.25OS Name: LinuxOS Version: 2.6.18-92.1.1.el5PAEOS Architecture: i386JVM Version: 1.6.0_02-b05JVM Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.

I'm running JasperServer. I only have 10 reports. Three are scheduled. I have about 20 reports in the Content files directory.

Pulling my HAIR out! I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!

Code:
js-export.sh --everything --output-zip js-3.1-export.zip

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem seems to be that the OS cannot reserve the amount of memory required by the JVM.  I don't know why that happens, maybe you don't have enough RAM on the system (and no swap partition).

Edit the js-export.sh script and see what -Xmx and -XX:MaxPermSize values it uses.  Try to reduce them and see whether the JVM launches successfully.

Regards,

Lucian

• 2 years later...

Thanks! This was counter-intuitive, but lowering the JVM memory settings worked. I made sure all of them were lower than the maximum memory on the server. Before, I was trying to raise them to meet Jaspersoft's minimum requirements.

My new settings:

export JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Xms256m -Xmx512m -XX:PermSize=32m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -Xss2m -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled"

(not sure about Jaspersoft performance, but Tomcat now runs).