We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Print Order in the List Component not working?

willemderu

I am trying my utmost to get the Print Order working when set to Horizontal on the List component.  It works fine when it is set to Vertical, but it does not make any difference when it is set to Horizontal.  I have tried repositioning the fields in the list component to be beneath each other (so that it can grow horizontally, but it still grows vertically).  I am using iReports 3.7.1 and JasperServer 3.7.1

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Willem

Post Edited by willemderu at 05/04/2010 11:49

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joel

I have unfortunately not managed to get it right. I even tried it in JasperReports 3.7.2 and iReports 3.7.2 but without any luck.

I ended up redesigning the reports so that it does not require horizontal print order.

Willem

Willem,

Thanks for the reply. I also ended up redesigning my report. My lists were short, so I could use separate fields and conditionals to display the appropriate list elements. Not exactly elegant, but it got the job done. :-/

Joel

Ok, I found and ran demo/samples/list, which does indeed print horizontal lists. The demo uses a query to the HSQLDB sample database to fill the list from a sub dataset, whereas I'm trying to use a subDataSource from $P{REPORT_DATA_SOURCE} (which works fine vertically). From my understanding, that shouldn't make a difference, though. I don't see any substantive differences in the report structures, but I have been unsuccessful converting the demo to run on my subDataSource (iReport can't find the subDataSource, even though I've set everything the same as my functioning vertical list report, as far as I can see). I must be missing something...

Joel

• 2 weeks later...

I had to deal with printing horizontal list and couldn't find a way to work with the List components.

However, I did get it to work with displaying with a subreport.  In my case of printing a calendar, I want it to traverse horizontally for a set amount of times.

I set the following properties in the subreport:

1. Print order: Horizontal
  2. Columns: 7 (I need 7 columns)

This should force the report to print each elemental of the list horizontally for (7 times) and then move on to the next row.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi,

I know this an old post, but there doesn't seem to be a more recent thread and I could not find a suitable solution elsewhere.

I too was having the same problem implementing the print order attribute which did not appear to make any difference when changed from Vertical to Horizontal. However I realised that I was attemping to implement it incorrectly and didn't understand that it requires the use of columns in the subreport that is being itterated over.

When set to Horizontal the report will be generated for each column before moving down to the next row, so if the subreport contains a single column then this will act like the print order is set to vertical. Setting the columns to 2 will see two itterations of the subreport on a single line before moving to the next row.

Hope this helps anyone with this issue.

Post Edited by ph0en1x at 04/14/2011 15:33

Post Edited by ph0en1x at 04/14/2011 15:43

• 2 years later...

I find out the solution for it.

Issue is not with List. It is with two attributes "Columns" and "Print Order" at report level.

Default value of Columns is 1 so if you change it to some higher value like 2,3 or some thing else and set Print order as Horizontal then it start working as expected.

Only catch it only 1st column will be available for designing as remain columns will printed automatically.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I set the list layout to vertical, ignore width to true and print order to horizontal it started working as expected but,

I'm struggling to configure the list to print elements in the next line when the right margin is reached and all elements don't fit one line.

UPDATE 2017-12-17

Finally I made it work with the solution on the following topic:

https://community.jaspersoft.com/questions/541989/print-horizontal-list