Changes to the Jaspersoft community edition download ×

Newbie Question: JasperReport v3.5.3 Requirements?

ericlomm

Hello all,

I am trying to setup Jasper reports for the first time and in looking at the requirements Page I have had a few questions come up that from my reading I can't find the answer to.

First, for the JRXML it mentions that I need the "JAXP 1.1 XML Parser" However when I do a search for the package I am only able to find the "JAXP 1.3 XML Parser" which is a newer version. I see that on all the other packages it says that I can use version "x.x or Newer" but it doesn't  say that for the "JAXP 1.1 XML Parser" Can I use a newer version?

Also the version of the JDBC that it mentions there is also an old version, Can I use newer version of this? if so might be helpful if the requirements page said this.

Finally, and maybe this is more of a java question then a Jasper Reports question. I am installing Jasper Reports on windows. Do I need to add classpath information for each of the componets that is listed in the requirements for Jasper reports to find them? Or if I create a directory C:\Jakarta and put each componet in a seperate directory Under that, can I just have a classpath of C:\Jakarta?

I know these are probably simple questions for people who work with Jave all the time, But I am not a Java Programmer.

Eric Lommatsch

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

For JAXP and JDBC, newer versions should be fine. For JAXP, if you take the Xerces JARs from the /lib directory of the JR project distribution package, you won't have to worry about anything.

In a Java classpath, JAR files have to be specified individually, and not by root folder. So you can put them anywhere, as long as you have to specify each file individually. Folders in classpath are only for introducing folder hyerachies containing unpackaged *.class files.

I hope this helps.

Teodor

teodord
Wrote:

Hi,

For JAXP and JDBC, newer versions should be fine. For JAXP, if you take the Xerces JARs from the /lib directory of the JR project distribution package, you won't have to worry about anything.

In a Java classpath, JAR files have to be specified individually, and not by root folder. So you can put them anywhere, as long as you have to specify each file individually. Folders in classpath are only for introducing folder hyerachies containing unpackaged *.class files.

I hope this helps.

Teodor

On the JAXP and JDBC, that was what I had figured, but I wanted to make sure.

I will make sure that all of the JAR files are specified individually when setting things up. I don't normally work with Java programs so a lot of this Java stuff is new to me. Thanks for your help.