Changes to the Jaspersoft community edition download ×

Variable / Scriptlet strangeness

charlierutledge

I am trying to use a variable in conjunction with a scriptlet.  I am running into a couple problems:

1. Nothing to do with the scriptlet, but I can't initialize the variable.  I have a variable named TestString, class java.lang.String, Calculation = System, Reset type = None, Increment Type = none, Initial Value Expression = new String("TestVal"). When I try to run the report I get the following error:

The initial value class in not compatible with the variable's class : TestString

What is wrong with the Initial Value Expression?  From examples, "new String("TestVal")" seems like it should do the trick.

2. Setting the variable within the scriptlet doesn't persist between detail rows. I have a Text Field in the detail section of the report with the following expression:

$P{REPORT_SCRIPTLET}.TestFunction()

TestFunction is declared as:

public String TestFunction() throws JRScriptletException {

String getString;

GetString = (String)this.getVariableValue("TestString");

System.out.print("GetString before: " + GetString + "n");   // Always shows "GetString before: null"

this.setVariableValue("TestString", "Testing");

GetString = (String)this.getVariableValue("TestString");

System.out.print("GetString after: " + GetString + "n");  // Always shows "GetString after: Testing"

return GetString;

}

Every time TestFunction is invoked, it shows that the TestString variable null. It does not retain have been set to a value of "Testing" when the function was invoked for the previous row.  By my understanding, the variable TestString should retain that value from row to row given the parameters it was set to (Calculation = System, Reset type = None, Increment Type = none).  What am I doing wrong?

I am using iReport 3.1.4, scriptlet is built using jasperreports-3.1.4.jar

Any insight would beappreciated.

Post Edited by Charles Rutledge at 03/20/09 23:28

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found the problem with the value of the variable resetting.  Looks like I needed to declare the variable with Rest type = Report instead of None.  That made it work.

Still no clue what was causing the problem with the Initial Value Expression, but turns out I don't need it anyway.

• 8 years later...
In my custom scriptlet, in the callBeforeReportInit function I try to set variable's value, however after report has been generated I get null. I did what you wrote about Reset type = Report etc, but I still get the null. May be you can help me with this troubles. Thank you.