could not manage to get Chinese user interface

0
First thanks for contributing the fine software to the world.

I could not make the user interface of iReport Chinese, by doing the following.

* Make sure in Plugins -> Translation Status, "Chinese (China)" (zh_CN) was imported from JasperBabylon and the status display 99.8% translated;
* Click "Details" to check there are really translation existing for tons of phrases;
* Make sure iReport Options -> Setting dialogue shows "Chinese (China)" as the value of "Language". Strangely, the option "Chinese (China)" appears 2 times on the list of languages, may be a bug.
* Make sure iReport launches with LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.utf8 and LANG=zh_CN.utf8
* Make sure iReport restart after I did all above.

Result:

When iReport launches, only the very first phrase was translated to Chinese ("Loading iReport Settings" was translated to Chinese in the splace screen). Since the 2nd phase (which is: Setting locale), no longer Chinese. All English.

Where do I to make the UI in Chinese? This is very important for us because 99.8% of the project trainees (Chinese) does not read English.

This is the locale setting:
Code:
<br />
zhangweiwu@esmeralda:~$ locale<br />
LANG=zh_CN.UTF8<br />
LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.UTF8<br />
LC_NUMERIC=zh_CN.utf8<br />
LC_TIME=zh_CN.utf8<br />
LC_COLLATE=zh_CN.utf8<br />
LC_MONETARY=zh_CN.utf8<br />
LC_MESSAGES=zh_CN.utf8<br />
LC_PAPER=zh_CN.utf8<br />
LC_NAME=zh_CN.utf8<br />
LC_ADDRESS=zh_CN.utf8<br />
LC_TELEPHONE=zh_CN.utf8<br />
LC_MEASUREMENT=zh_CN.utf8<br />
LC_IDENTIFICATION=zh_CN.utf8<br />
</td></tr></tbody></table><br />
Thanks in advance.
zhangweiwu's picture
Joined: Jul 8 2008 - 11:33pm
Last seen: 10 years 11 months ago

4 Answers:

0
Normally when you choose the language in iReport Options it is applied immediately. As soon as I click Apply all menus and other text changes to Chinese. (My system is not configured for Chinese display, so I see squares... but the effect is immediate.)

I see "Chinese (China)" only a single time in my list. Perhaps the problem is related to this.

My first guess is a case-sensitivity issue. I have only tested on Windows, but perhaps there is some problem on Linux.

My second guess is a classpath issue. iReport ships with some bundles. You'll find them in iReport.jar in /it/businesslogic/ireport/locale. Normally the plug-in should download the updated bundle to the file system:
~/it/businesslogic/ireport/locale. This newer file should be used in place of the one found in iReport.jar.

You could try to manually remove Ireport_zh_CN.properties from iReport.jar to see if this makes a difference.

Also, you didn't mention the version of iReport that you're using. I'm working with iReport 3.0.0.

Regards,
Matt
Jaspersoft
mdahlman's picture
8660
Joined: Mar 13 2007 - 2:43am
Last seen: 4 years 7 months ago
0
Thank you very much for the information.

In fact I could not click "Apply" button, because this button is in gray color (disabled). And when I go to settings dialogue I see Chinese (China) is pre-selected (the first occurance of this option is pre-selected. I can select the 2nd occurance but still "Apply" button is gray). This is good because in Linux this is 100% the correct behavior (that the user's environment locale setting was the default / pre-selected for software runs in this locale).

I forgot to mention I was using iReport 3.0.0

I solved the problem with this.

1) Choose Dutch as my language, then I can click Apply (the button is enabled). The interface goes Dutch;
2) Choose Chinese as my language (I chose the second occurance of "Chinese (China)"), click "Apply";
3) The interface goes Chinese. Solved. By the way it shows the first occurance of "Chinese (China)" was selected.

So, the default pre-selection doesn't work. And it seems the developer wanted user-environment local pre-selected, and it doesn't work, which is even worse than not having user's environment locale pre-selected, because user would confuse and think they already should have Chinese interface. If an automated feature doesn't work it is always worse than there have never been this feature.

I think I should file a bug and hope in the future the user environment language was pre-selected and works.
zhangweiwu's picture
Joined: Jul 8 2008 - 11:33pm
Last seen: 10 years 11 months ago
0
Great job tracking down the problem. Thanks for posting the details.

Yes, please log this as a bug [url=http://jasperforge.org/sf/tracker/do/listTrackers/projects.ireport/track....

Regards,
Matt
mdahlman's picture
8660
Joined: Mar 13 2007 - 2:43am
Last seen: 4 years 7 months ago
Feedback