We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

help on these quick questions

bitdoger

1.) does JasperSoft do rpts allowing on the fly end-user entered parameters (ie the web page will ask for a date range before running the report) WITHOUT the need for java-programming/development of the report??...

2.) does JasperSoft do bar graphs also without any extra java programming/development?...

3.) Has anybody used JRUBY to attach extra java programming during development??....

I would like to deploy as much as possible with any extensive Java programming as possible..and if possible use JRUBY only when need...No language wars intended we are a very small shop with limited time/budget and skill set....thanx in advance new user dave

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

1. JasperReports doesn't have anything to do with the collections of the parameter. When you fill a report it takes a Map containing the parameter information ("name", class). It is up to the application running the report to obtain this list and pass it in when the report is filled. Parameters can be used in the report for expression logic and in the report query for the most part without "programming" (well you may to massage a Date to be more SQL friendly but this is not major). That being said it all depends on your requirements. Sometimes you need to do write some code within the report.

2. Yes, all the out of the box functionality for graphs is defined in the JRXML (can be configured with iReport). The chart does need a data expression but more often than not this is a field from the data source or a variable calculated in run time. To add functionality beyond what is available out of the box you will need to do some programming (this involved working with the JFreeChart API).

3. What do you mean by attaching extra java programming? The reports support Java, Groovy and Beanshell for the languages to write expressions in. You can call a helper class from within the report. I have only every used java to do this. I don't think it would be possible with JRuby but I am not sure.

You should check out the sample reports that ship with the JasperReport source. There is a firstJasper.jrxml report that demonstrates a lot of features you might be interested in. Also there are examples of charts.

HTH

Post edited by: lshannon, at: 2008/05/16 16:08