We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

How to add/subtract days/hrs from date

soma

Hi,

I am a new user in iReport and have a requirement to add days to date value passed by the user. Then do a sql query based on the new date. Can someone tell me how can I do this? I am using iReport 1.3.3 and MySQL.

Regards

Soma

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, most of the java.util.Date class's methods have been deprecated by java.util.Calendar methods. So my first suggestion is to use java.util.Calendar.-But thats just a suggestion.

If I understand you correctly, you are receiving a 'Date' object from your parameter. Change this to java.util.Calendar.

I would create a variable:

Name = daysAdded

Class = java.util.Calendar()

Reset Type= NONE

Calculation Type = NONE

Increment Type = NONE

Initial Expression = $P{Name of your incoming parameter}

Variable Expression = $P{NameOfYourParam}.CalendarFunctionToSetDays()

I don't know the exact function you need for the underlined above, but here is the link that you need.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/util/Calendar.html#method_summary

Then create a Parameter, Call it newDate.

Parameter expression should be $V{daysAdded}

Use this parameter in your query...

Let me know if this works...

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I was able to add the date but when I move my $V{adddate} to pramenter $P{newDate}, I am getting null value inside newDate. I am using the Default Parameter Expression box to move the adddate to newDate.

Regards

Soma

If you only need to use the new date as part of a filter, consider doing it all in the query. If you have two parameters, one the date entered and one the number of days, you can use the MySQL DATE_ADD function where you need the new date. Your query would contain something like

Code:
WHERE some_field < DATE_ADD($P{date}, INTERVAL ${num_days} DAY)

-Barry

Post edited by: bklawans, at: 2007/07/27 00:06

I was able to add the date but when I move my $V{adddate} to pramenter $P{newDate}, I am getting null value inside newDate

This raises the question: Which value gets filled first, variable values or parameter values...?

How is it that you know the 'null' value exists? Are you displaying it in a textfield?

If so, try changing the evaluation time of your textfield, see if that will give you the value of $V{adddate} inside of $P{newDate}..

Does this work?

• 9 years later...