What is it?

Great that you have this new project, and you're promoting it through the JasperForge banner advertising. But what is it? Would it be useful to me or my clients? Why would I use it?

There's nothing on the project page. The closest thing I've found is a two sentence description in this forum. Not much to go on.

How about giving us a clue?

Bob
topred's picture

3 Answers:

Hi Bob,

JasperBabylon is essentially tool to translate JasperSoft applications like iReport and JasperReports.
If you want translate iReport in a currently unsupported language, you can contribute to the iReport project using JasperBabylon.
Using the JasperBabylon site (http://www.jasperforge.org/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=283) you can
create an contributor account and translate the resource bundle of several projects in your language.

From iReport you can download/update languages hosted on JasperBabylon.

Giulio
giulio's picture
Giulio,
Thanks for the reply. I am not trying to be difficult, but just understand better. So a few more questions.

What problem is this system trying to solve?
Aren't the applications using properties files for internationalization?
I took a look at the iReport plugin, and it appears you can see the percentage of strings translated for a particular language. Why would I want anything less that 100%?

Why would I want to use this system - is it solely if I want a translation for a language that hasn't been completed?

Thanks.

Bob
topred's picture
Hi Bob,

I'm going to take a stab at answering your questions:

What problem is this system trying to solve? >> The problem is that localization is very expensive and time-consuming, and the quality is not always very good. JasperBabylon leverages a world-wide, open source community. This can increase quality (if the translation are done by native speakers who are also real users of the product (which are safe assumptions in this context). You essentially get high quality translations for free.

Aren't the applications using properties files for internationalization? >> Yes, but someone has to translate the properties files. JasperBabylon provides a common open source tool to allow many people to contribute to the translation of the properties files.

I took a look at the iReport plugin, and it appears you can see the percentage of strings translated for a particular language. Why would I want anything less that 100%? >> You wouldn't. However, you can collaborate online with other native speakers to complete the translations for mutual benefit.

Why would I want to use this system - is it solely if I want a translation for a language that hasn't been completed? >> It provides a common tool so that the open source community can complete the translations for the entire community's benefit.

I hope this makes sense. I think this project is brilliant in its simplicity. I agree it could use a bit more background information.

Mary
mmflynn's picture
Feedback
randomness