We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Post Install - Next steps to plugin in my own data

Exie

Hi folks,

I've used jasper reports before during J2EE development, so have a rough idea of the concepts.

I've installed the Jasper intelligence pack, which works great striaght off the bat.

My issue is, I have various lumps of data I'd like to make reports off, browse with OLAP etc, I can plug my oracle drivers into the web.xml and everything, but how do I use them ?

Do I just knock up some JRXML's and pop them under ./samples/reports/ ?

Is there any kinda guide to move people from the sample data, to their own data, with their own report(s) ?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Exie,

As far as reporting on your data what you would need to do is...

1. Design the report to display the relevant data using a design tool (IReports, JasperAssistant, etc.). In doing so you will need to configure your data as a data source. I am assuming by "lumps of data" you mean "collection of data stored in a table or tables"? I havn't used Oracle that much to be honest, so if its an Oracle-native term please forgive me :).

2. Once you've designed and tested the report, you need to insert the report into JasperServer using the gui interface. This shouldn't be a hard task, just upload the images, subreports, etc. as needed. One trick is that any image etc. that is stored in the repository must be referred to as "repo:/<PATH>/<filename.extension>" in your report. repo:/ is a reference to repository structure where your files will be stored once they are uploaded.

3. Once you have the report and support elements installed you will need to configure your datasource. To do this you have to install the jar file in the web server.. for me this meant putting it in "C:Program FilesApache Software FoundationTomcat 5.5commonlib". Once this jar file is in place, restart your server and it should pick it up. Then its just a matter of entering the proper driver class name, and other such details of where your database server is located and you should be good to go.

HTH,

Robin