Changes to the Jaspersoft community edition download ×

Setting a chart's range??

2005 IR Help

By: Gunny99 - gunny99

Setting a chart's range??

2005-10-07 07:00

My report has several charts based upon a dataset of server performance monitors and each chart (e.g.: CPU utilization) has it's own range. I need to be able to set these to a fixed 0-100.

Is it possible to manually set the range on a chart?

By: bill - rx7haze

RE: Setting a chart's range??

2006-05-25 09:52

I too am trying to adjust the range on the value axis. If you do a search on this topic you'll notice there is never an answer for this question. Someone out there must know how to set this as I've seen plenty of samples that appear to have been modified. I'm assuming it can't be done in the GUI but there must be a way to modify the jrxml file. I don't know much about java programming but if you look at the JFreeChart API it looks possible.

2006-05-26 14:17

I've lost track of how many hours I've spent trying to figure this out. It looks like setting the range is possible by using the Customizer class in the chart properties. I've seen it stated that this can open up the entire JFreeChart API to iReport. I found a sample of a customizer class located in the jasper reports download in the location jasperreports-1.2.2demosampleschartsbarchartcustomizer.java. This all makes sense to me but now I can't figure out how to reference the customizer class. I tried setting the classpath to reference the directory...that didn't work. I tried putting it in the lib directory of iReport...that didn't work. Finally I tried putting it in the same directory as the report...that didn't work. This is the only thing holding me back from using iReport as my total reporting solution.

Thanks.

2006-05-26 15:16

Forgot to post in previous message. Here's the error I get.

Error filling print...

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: BarChartCustomizer at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source) at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method) at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source) at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(Unknown Source) at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method) at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.util.JRClassLoader.loadClassForName(JRClassLoader.java:90) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillChart.<init>(JRFillChart.java:260) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillObjectFactory.getChart(JRFillObjectFactory.java:551) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.base.JRBaseChart.getCopy(JRBaseChart.java:470) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillElementGroup.<init>(JRFillElementGroup.java:88) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillElementContainer.<init>(JRFillElementContainer.java:88) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillBand.<init>(JRFillBand.java:77) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillObjectFactory.getBand(JRFillObjectFactory.java:374) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillGroup.<init>(JRFillGroup.java:76) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillObjectFactory.getGroup(JRFillObjectFactory.java:353) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillVariable.<init>(JRFillVariable.java:83) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillObjectFactory.getVariable(JRFillObjectFactory.java:333) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillDataset.addVariable(JRFillDataset.java:275) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillDataset.setVariables(JRFillDataset.java:265) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillDataset.<init>(JRFillDataset.java:219) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillObjectFactory.getDataset(JRFillObjectFactory.java:1032) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRBaseFiller.<init>(JRBaseFiller.java:374) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRVerticalFiller.<init>(JRVerticalFiller.java:92) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRVerticalFiller.<init>(JRVerticalFiller.java:74) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFiller.createFiller(JRFiller.java:147) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFiller.fillReport(JRFiller.java:83) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JasperFillManager.fillReport(JasperFillManager.java:601) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JasperFillManager.fillReport(JasperFillManager.java:517) at it.businesslogic.ireport.IReportCompiler.run(IReportCompiler.java:653) at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) NESTED BY : java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: BarChartCustomizer at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source) at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method) at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source) at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(Unknown Source) at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method) at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.util.JRClassLoader.loadClassForName(JRClassLoader.java:90) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillChart.<init>(JRFillChart.java:260) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillObjectFactory.getChart(JRFillObjectFactory.java:551) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.base.JRBaseChart.getCopy(JRBaseChart.java:470) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillElementGroup.<init>(JRFillElementGroup.java:88) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillElementContainer.<init>(JRFillElementContainer.java:88) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillBand.<init>(JRFillBand.java:77) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillObjectFactory.getBand(JRFillObjectFactory.java:374) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillGroup.<init>(JRFillGroup.java:76) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillObjectFactory.getGroup(JRFillObjectFactory.java:353) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillVariable.<init>(JRFillVariable.java:83) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillObjectFactory.getVariable(JRFillObjectFactory.java:333) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillDataset.addVariable(JRFillDataset.java:275) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillDataset.setVariables(JRFillDataset.java:265) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillDataset.<init>(JRFillDataset.java:219) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillObjectFactory.getDataset(JRFillObjectFactory.java:1032) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRBaseFiller.<init>(JRBaseFiller.java:374) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRVerticalFiller.<init>(JRVerticalFiller.java:92) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRVerticalFiller.<init>(JRVerticalFiller.java:74) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFiller.createFiller(JRFiller.java:147) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFiller.fillReport(JRFiller.java:83) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JasperFillManager.fillReport(JasperFillManager.java:601) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JasperFillManager.fillReport(JasperFillManager.java:517) at it.businesslogic.ireport.IReportCompiler.run(IReportCompiler.java:653) at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) NESTED BY : net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JRRuntimeException: Could not create chart customizer instance. at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillChart.<init>(JRFillChart.java:263) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillObjectFactory.getChart(JRFillObjectFactory.java:551) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.base.JRBaseChart.getCopy(JRBaseChart.java:470) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillElementGroup.<init>(JRFillElementGroup.java:88) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillElementContainer.<init>(JRFillElementContainer.java:88) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillBand.<init>(JRFillBand.java:77) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillObjectFactory.getBand(JRFillObjectFactory.java:374) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillGroup.<init>(JRFillGroup.java:76) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillObjectFactory.getGroup(JRFillObjectFactory.java:353) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillVariable.<init>(JRFillVariable.java:83) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillObjectFactory.getVariable(JRFillObjectFactory.java:333) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillDataset.addVariable(JRFillDataset.java:275) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillDataset.setVariables(JRFillDataset.java:265) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillDataset.<init>(JRFillDataset.java:219) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillObjectFactory.getDataset(JRFillObjectFactory.java:1032) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRBaseFiller.<init>(JRBaseFiller.java:374) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRVerticalFiller.<init>(JRVerticalFiller.java:92) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRVerticalFiller.<init>(JRVerticalFiller.java:74) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFiller.createFiller(JRFiller.java:147) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFiller.fillReport(JRFiller.java:83) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JasperFillManager.fillReport(JasperFillManager.java:601) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JasperFillManager.fillReport(JasperFillManager.java:517) at it.businesslogic.ireport.IReportCompiler.run(IReportCompiler.java:653) at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: BarChartCustomizer at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source) at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method) at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source) at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(Unknown Source) at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method) at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.util.JRClassLoader.loadClassForName(JRClassLoader.java:90) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillChart.<init>(JRFillChart.java:260) ... 23 more

Print not filled. Try to use an EmptyDataSource...!

By: Fek - fekmfg

2006-05-12 07:03

Hi,

I have the same problem I need to set the x axis from 0 to 24. Is there no possibility to configure the axis?

Greetings Fek

By: Marcelo Fernandes - mcf-rocha

2006-05-29 08:46

Hi all!

I want to do the same thing. Have you found the solution?

I know how to do it in JasperReport but not in iReport:

final JFreeChart chart = ChartFactory.createBarChart3D(

"Graph name", // chart title

"Domain name", // domain axis label

"Range name", // range axis label

dataset, // data

PlotOrientation.HORIZONTAL, // orientation

true, // include legend

true, // tooltips

false // urls

);

final CategoryPlot plot = chart.getCategoryPlot();

NumberAxis rangeAxis = (NumberAxis) plot.getRangeAxis();

rangeAxis.setStandardTickUnits(NumberAxis.createIntegerTickUnits());

//Now we set the range, for exemple: from 0 to 5

rangeAxis.setRangeWithMargins(0,5);

Thanks in advance,

Marcelo

2006-05-30 06:17

Someone out there must know how to use the customizer class.

Please help.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally figured out my problem. Mostly has to do with lack of experience with java.

When using the sample report and the sample BarChartCustomizer, I did not realize you needed to compile the BarChartCustomizer.java file. So the file I need to point to is BarChartCustomizer.class. Along with the classpath pointing to directory housing this file. It works wonderful.

• 1 month later...

Hi!

After having around the same problem but wanting to enable non-programmers to design such a report with a range-option I programmed it as a "patch" into iReport and into Jasper (currently against v1.2.7).

I'm now able to enter an optional Range setting for linecharts which enables me to put in a 0-100 range for example to have a percent chart "visualized".

Contact me if somebody wants it too...

Regards,

Thorsten B)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Thorsten

I think we are going to do something about it for an upcoming release.

Just by looking at the patch file, I think it would be better if the range limits would be report expressions and not hardcoded double values.

We'll take care of that when we decide to implement it.

Thank you,

Teodor

Hi Teodor!

Yes - the code can or really should be stabilized or generalized. The patch is the result of a half-day code review of both Jasper and iReport - Sources.

I'll (for myself) will take a look at what report expressions will mean. Is that an abstract class?

Maybe in the hurry with implementing that I just missed the data surroundings! :-)

Regards,

Thorsten

p.s.: Greetings to Ken B.! :-)

when i am trying to use this following java code for setting a chart range..

final JFreeChart chart = ChartFactory.createBarChart3D(

dataset, // data

PlotOrientation.HORIZONTAL, // orientation

true, // include legend

true, // tooltips

false // urls

);

final CategoryPlot plot = chart.getCategoryPlot();

NumberAxis rangeAxis = (NumberAxis) plot.getRangeAxis();

rangeAxis.setStandardTickUnits(NumberAxis.createIntegerTickUnits());

//Now we set the range, for exemple: from 0 to 5

rangeAxis.setRangeWithMargins(0,5);

i am getting error:

"the type org.jfree.util.public cloneable cannot be resolved. it is indirectly referenced from required class file"

can any one help me?

thanks in advance

hai.. yosh thanks for ur reply..

now error is gone. i have include that class file(eg xxxx.class) in chart property-->customizer as "xxxx.class". i have converted this class file as jar file and included in option-->classpath-->addjar->"xxx.jar".. when i am running that "xxxx.jrxml". its give an classnot found error..as "xxx.class" is not found

one more thing you have to clarify me..

dataset, //

can u clarify me.. how to give value for arguments at run time from iReport.. i am using iRepot-1.2.4

thanks in advance:(

Hi!

A) I talked about CLASSPATH and not about class extraction out of the jar! Therefore I expected that you put the JAR file into your projects or iReports classpath.

Nevertheless I haven't been playing around with 3d chart stuff and this is probably not even the right thread for the upcoming problems :-).

B) Maybe it's possible to put in Parameter $P{foobar} things inside the fields of the graph legends.

Didn't try that yet.

Regards,

Thorsten

• 10 months later...

Rachel07,

Just take a look at the tracker for iReport...

http://jasperforge.org/sf/sfmain/do/go/artf1821

B)

Be careful - I haven't been working (really unfortunately) on JasperReports since one year as I changed my employment a bit though the patch is still against the 1.2.7.

Maybe Teodor knows if there is now a feature enabling exactly what my "quick and dirty" patch did.

Regards,

Thorsten