We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Slow and/or unable to read fields

2004 IR Help

By: Mark Rhodes - mrhodes2

Slow and/or unable to read fields

2002-12-27 14:47

Since upgrading to 0.0.7, I have been unable to read fields from a database into a report. (database, query, read fields). On same machine with 0.0.6 I have no problems. I am using Microsoft JDBC drivers. Any thoughts?

By: Giulio Toffoli - gt78

RE: Slow and/or unable to read fields

2003-01-02 10:13

There is no changes to database access logic

Check classpath and jdbc driver really used for connection.

bye

Giulio

2003-01-24 17:13

Now that I'm thinking about, I have the same problems. I thought were network problems, but if you have experienced the same problem...must be iReport the cause.

I must check the code.

Thanks a lot fot this post. It' s very important. In my office we have lost a lot of time for this problem, but we have not think about iReport....

Giulio

2003-01-24 14:50

I did a little more testing. I copied the iReports-0.0.6.exe into the same folder I have 0.0.7 and 0.0.7p1. I run either of the .7 versions and it takes 2-10 minutes before I read new fields into a report. Open same xml in 0.0.6 and it takes 5-15 seconds. Since the .EXE's are in the same .bin they are using identical classpaths and jdbc drivers. I'm baffled. I am using microsoft jdbc drivers to connect to a SQL 2000 server. I've tried this on multiple machines (NT and WinXP) and i get the same results.

By: reece mcconkey - r_mcconkey

2003-01-30 13:07

I had a similar problem. there are 2 resource files in the bin directory

connections.properties

ireport.properties

My guess is one(or both) is corrupted.

copy the resource files from the 'good' folder into the 'bad' folder... try it again

reece

p.s. make backups first... standard disclaimer.

2003-01-30 13:16

I have both EXE (0.0.6 and 0.0.7) in the same folder so they are using the same resource files. I've also installed 0.0.7 and recreated resource files from scratch and problem still exists.

2003-02-05 10:39

I've tried release 0.0.8 and still have the speed problem initially reading query field names. I also tried rebuiling .properties files (per mcconkey) and still no luck. My current workaround is I keep ireport-0.0.6.exe in my bin folder and use this to start creating each report. Once fields are read in I open in current release. Giulio - did your speed improve with 0.0.8 in the office?

2003-02-05 13:55

I have not try iReport 0.0.8 in office, but 0.0.8 use a new method to read fields: it calls java.exe and execute IReportJDBCConnector.class.

This is pure java, I dont' understand why iReport 0.0.6 performs better....

Giulio

By: David Sachs - dsach1w

2003-02-07 18:41

I have also experienced some unusual problems reading fields from databases. When I "test connection" everything appears to be fine, but when I try to read fields it just hangs.

I managed to get "read fields" to work (connecting to postgresql 7.1) by using ODBC--the postgresql jdbc driver just hangs. Oddly, while ODBC works when designing the report, when I try to compile/preview the report, only the postgresql jdbc driver actually fetches the data! I get a "not found" when I try to use the jdbc-odbc connection in the report compiler.

Regardless, it's working, but hopefully we can track this down.

Thanks for a great tool,

David

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic