Keep grouped detail bands on one page

2006-03-13 17:46

I'm wanting to keep a set of detail bands on one page together. So that I have

Group Header

Detail Record 1

Detail Record 2

Detail Record 3

Group Footer

so that if this cannot all fit on one page, it'll go to the next page. Can you point me to an example, or give me any clues.

Thanks,

Sam

By: larry s - larrys54321

RE: Keep grouped detail bands on one page

2006-03-16 12:29

I need same feature. Someone, please help.

Larry

By: C-Box - c-box

2006-03-19 23:21

Don't understand your question... if ALL (GROUPHEADER + RECORDSDETAILS+GROUPFOOTER) doesn't fit at one page ... why should it fit at next page..!??!?!

This would only work if the engine would know the TOTAL height of the complete group (GROUPHEADER + RECORDSDETAILS+GROUPFOOTER)... if this is smaller than a total page (minus pageheader-footer + other reprinted groupheaders) than it COULD work... but as you can imagine this is a very very complex algorithm that also would slow down the performance enormously. The engine should PRECALCULATE the needed space ... and this for every group!!!!!

just my two cent

C-Box

By: Sam Stephens - postmoderncore

2006-03-21 15:27

> Don't understand your question... if ALL (GROUPHEADER + RECORDSDETAILS+GROUPFOOTER) doesn't fit at one page ... why should it fit at next page..!??!?!

This can happen if 1 set of (GROUPHEADER + RECORDSDETAILS+GROUPFOOTER) prints on 1 page, but there is not room for a second set of (GROUPHEADER + RECORDSDETAILS+GROUPFOOTER).

When I used to create reports in Oracle Reports, I'd occasionally want reports to have this functionality. It means that a report user can see all the details records a group header and group footer relate to.

> This would only work if the engine would know the TOTAL height of the complete group (GROUPHEADER + RECORDSDETAILS+GROUPFOOTER) ...

At the moment, Jasper must have some logic when a detail record won't fit on a page, to move to the new page, and print the Group Header (if applicable) and the detail record on the next page.

Couldn't it instead move the whole Group to a new page (with an allowance for if the Group is larger than one page). So it doesn't need to precalculate, just deals with moving the Group to a new page as it goes. Just like it will move a detail record that doesn't fit on a page to the next page.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic