We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

problem when printing my pdf (with SVG chart)

2005 IR Help

By: sebbal - sebbal

problem when printing my pdf (with SVG chart)

2004-08-24 05:31

Hello all,

I need your help, i don't know where searching for my problem.

In fact, when i generate my jasperreport in pdf, and when i print it in a black and white printer, my graph (generated with JFreeChart) is not printed, just a black rectangle instead of the graph. When i print the report on a colour printer, there is no problem.

I generate my chart with JFreeChart, and i export it in the JasperReport as a parameter with the new SVG interface of Jasper (JRRendable).

When i use a tool to analyse the pdf (with Pitstop), i see a big transparent rectangle on top of the chart. When i retrieve it, the graph is not so beautiful, but i can print it on my default printer.

It's difficult to explain the problem, but i hope that somebody will have an (little) idea of the problem's cause...

Thanks in advance for your help,

By: Paulo Soares - psoares33

RE: problem when printing my pdf (with SVG chart)

2004-08-24 06:14

The problem is that your printer or printer driver doesn't support transparency. Try to print it as image.

2004-08-24 07:35

thanks for your response.

This way solutions my problem but not completly.

In fact, when i put the "print as image" in the pdf printing option, some of my svg chart are correctly printed, some others not. There is no more my black rectangle instead of the chart, but some charts have a grey rectangle as background colour (but i can see the chart now). It happens randomly, sometimes every charts are perfect, sometimes some charts have problem as described.

If you have time, can you explain me more about the cause of the problem ? Is is a problem of the svg format, or the pdf encoding ? Why is it a problem of printers or printers drivers ?

Thanks in advance for your help,

By: Paulo Soares - psoares33

2004-08-24 08:03

Transparency is a difficult subject and some printer drivers can't do it correctly, there's a lot of calculations involved. SVG and the PDF are innocent about this problems and even the grey rectangle you see is probably there already but looks lighter in the screen.

2004-08-25 06:03

I can't see the grey rectangle on my screen.

But i can print on the same printer another pdf with svg chart (generated with another tool), and it works fine.

So i don't understand why my JasperReport pdf doesn't work... :-(

Is there a solution to avoid this problem when i generate my graph or when i generate my report ? When i try to generate the chart as PNG and to include it in my report, i haven't this problem printing, but the quality chart isn't good so i prefer SVG.

2004-08-26 06:26

Any idea to solve this problem ? I can't change all the printers of the enterprise... and i would like to keep the svg quality chart.

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic