Changes to the Jaspersoft community edition download ×

Postscript files from Jasper PDFs are huge

2005 IR Help

By: bfransen - bfransen

Postscript files from Jasper PDFs are huge

2004-08-18 18:48

Hi,

In our system we used to create reports with Oracle Reports and generate PDFs. We then used Acroread to convert these to Postscript files.

We recently ported our reports to Jasper reports. The resulting PDFs are the same size or smaller than the original Oracle reports. But when we convert these PDFs to Postscript, the resulting PS files are huge. (i.e. a PDF less than 2 megs in size is converted to a 12 meg PS file)

Does anyone know why this increase in size happens? We thought it might be because of the iText PDF generation, but other non-jasper reports that are created with iText convert as expected to PS (no wierd file size changes)

How can we get around this problem? Can anyone think of why a Jasper created PDF might translate to a huge PS?

Thank you

Ben

By: Richard Barnett - richard_barnett

RE: Postscript files from Jasper PDFs are hug

2004-08-18 21:31

Not quite sure what you're asking. When you say "The resulting PDFs are the same size or smaller than the original Oracle reports" are you referring to the Oracle PDFs or PSs?

AFAIK the same content will always be larger as PS than as PDF -- I think PDF is largely chunks (pages?) of compressed PS.

Have you compared the PS files for the same report generated by the two different mechanisms?

Does the bloated PS contain embedded fonts or bitmap graphics generated by JasperReports?

By: bfransen - bfransen

RE: Postscript files from Jasper PDFs are hug

2004-08-19 13:05

Hi,

By the 'resulting pdfs' I mean that the PDFs created by JasperReports are smaller than the PDFs created by Oracle reports. Just an interesting note, considering the content of the reports looks exactly the same.

I believe our PS files have always been larger than the PDF files, but never 10 megabytes bigger!

I will do a comparison of the 2 reports. And yes, the bloated PS does contain embedded fonts and a jpg.

I can try removing the embedded fonts and jpg and see if that makes a dramatic difference in file size.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic