We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

"unfix" RTF text area dimensions?

By: Cantillon Christoph - evinzor

"unfix" RTF text area dimensions?

2006-02-20 00:40

I need to export an RTF file which would then have to be editable. Exporting the RTF works fine, but when adding new lines to the text in the RTF file, the bottom lines just get dropped because of the fixed dimensions of the text area. Is there any way to export an RTF file that uses regular paragraphs instead of fixed text blocks?

By: Denny Valliant - xenden

RE: "unfix" RTF text area dimensions?

2006-02-20 12:11

I rather doubt that there is anything besides the textbox method. It's closest to how JR works. Using paragraphs would be way more difficult, I think.

You could sorta hack it and add the "strechToFitShape" attribute to the boxes, but even that only stretches them, it won't push the rest of the content down, so you're still in the same boat pretty much.

I'll look at the source and see how stuff is done, and if I come up with something I'll post back to this thread.

Another hack would be to format your paragraphs and such "outside" of jasper, I.E. one big body containg the paragraphs. Since RTF is text based, you can insert "/par" (paragraphs,sorta) and RTF stuff in the text itself. Maybe.

No easy answer as far as I know to using paragraphs vs. positioned text elements.

If you find it holler back!

XD

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

is there any new regarding this topic?

I'm using the JR 3.0.0 but the RTF export is still based on fixed text "frames". My customer wants to edit the reports, but if she inserts lines, the last ones on each frame get lost (well, not exactly lost, but hidden). Then she'd have to shift down the bottom of this text area, adjusting the position of next areas... well, not very user-friendly.

What I'd like to is to have a kind of RTF export which uses "plain text" export, without these text frames.

Any hint?

Thanks,

Miguel

I'm afraid that there are no news on this topic.  The RTF exporters still produces absolutely positioned text paragraphs.  To obtain a different kind of output, one would need a different (or at least customized) RTF exporter.

I don't see this logged as a feature request, so you could log such a feature request so that we remain aware of this.

Regards,

Lucian

Hi Lucian,

thank you for your fast answer.

It could also be an option for my customer to get OpenOffice documents. These are generated, as I can see, using tables. This is an interesting option but it would need some enhancements over the OO doc generator.

These would be:

1) Generate OpenOffice page headers and footers from the report's pageHeader and pageFooter. This would be very nice!

2) Page margins (left and right) should NOT be translated into columns but into page margins. Therefore, if I have a field filling the entire page width in my report, I would get a table with just one column for this field. Currently I get a table with 3 columns: the left page margin, the field and the right margin.

3) Top and bottom margins should also be introduced. As I can see, all margins are included on a "master_0" page style. It would be a matter of modifying this style, I guess?

Is this a feasible option in the near future?

Thanks and regards,

Miguel