We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Need help with printing

2005 IR Help

By: GTI - gtigti

Need help with printing

2004-06-12 02:39

Hi,

I'm using JasperReports to design some reports and display them on my web application (J2EE, WebSphere, Struts).

I'm using the JRHtmlExporter to display the reports as HTML pages, and JasperPrintManager.printReport(jasperPrint, true) to print them.

When working on the machine that runs the WebSphere Application Server, every thing is working fine, but when I call the Web page from another machine (LAN - http://myserver:9080/app/report.do) and I try to print, I have the printer DialogBox displayed on the server machine !!!!

Can someone help me to fix it ?

I also have the same problem when using JasperViewer.viewReport(jasperPrint, false) ...

Thx in advance

RE: (URGENT) Need help with printing

2004-06-14 01:41

pls ... did someone work with printing reports on LAN or on Internet ... ?

RE: Need help with printing

2004-06-14 08:58

Teodord :) please ...

By: Vinod Kumar Singh - vinodsingh

2004-06-14 21:16

For printing reports on LAN why don't you use the printing facility of the browser.

2004-06-15 00:08

Because the browser prints also the web address of the reports, it's title, the date, page 1 of n, etc. and I don't need that, or let's say all that must not be printed ...

By: Vinod Kumar Singh - vinodsingh

2004-06-15 21:44

You can remove the header and footer settings from the page setup dialog of browser.

For the best results send pdf output to client instead of html.

2004-06-16 04:40

Imagine you have thousands of machines that will connect to the application (bank employees), so u'll have to configure them all .. or u'll have to require pdf installation on all the machines ..

I think the problem is that JasperReports is not offering big capabilities with printing (and exporting I guess) compared to CrystalReports 10 + Java reporting Component

I hope someone will be able to convince me of the opposite ...

By: Chuck Deal - cdeal

2004-06-16 05:30

Crystal uses an ActiveX component. Jasper can use an applet to do the same thing. I think you'll have to try Jasper an an applet before you say that it does not offer the capabilities that you need.

Besides that, most PCs that I have encountered have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed, so unless you are sure that your users WON'T have it, it is not unreasonable for them to have it (or install it).

2004-06-16 06:03

- Applets depend on JVM, so on browser

- All client PCs (in my case) are running MS Windows (default installation) so the majority of them don't have Acrobat Reader installed.

Remember the clients are bank employees, so they haven't always OS rights to install or unistall software on the system (they are generally given simple user accounts)

I know I can install Acrobat or configure the browsers for them, but if I choosed to develop in J2EE then it's mainly because it must be platform independant ...

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic