We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

JasperReports without JDBC?

2005 IR Help

By: Carsten Hintz - poldi42

JasperReports without JDBC?

2004-05-27 02:15

hi all.

I am new to Jasper, so bear with me.

I am looking for a general purpose reporting tool to use in projects without a traditional RDBMS. thus I have no JDBC access to the data.

is there a way to use Jasper by providing for example an interface like TableModel to the engine? another possibility would be to export my data to XML - would this be a valid data source?

is this (working on non-JDBC data) possible at all?

any suggestions on where to start reading about this? looking quickly over the website I found no example for my use case.

any help is greatly appreciated.

kind regards,

Carsten

By: C-Box - c-box

RE: JasperReports without JDBC?

2004-05-27 04:07

Take a look at the CustomDataSource-Sample provided with JasperReport full project-release...

doesn't it fit your requirements?

hth

C-Box

By: Carsten Hintz - poldi42

2004-05-27 04:55

I am still downloading, so I have not yet tried the samples.

but reading the API-doc, I see that JRBeanArrayDataSource, JRBeanCollectionDataSource, JREmptyDataSource, JRMapArrayDataSource, JRMapCollectionDataSource, JRResultSetDataSource, JRTableModelDataSource are already available as viable alternatives to a db connection in JasperManager.fillReport(...). this seems to be great.

now if I may, 2 more questiones:

- do you know wheather the different designer-UIs for Jasper that are available work on base of the JRDataSource interface? I am asking because (again, judging only from websites) it seems as if there are JDBC properties needed at design time (probably to get some metadata).

- is there anybody around that has experience with the combination of JasperReports and Prevayler?

thanks for your answer.

kind regards,

Carsten

By: Mathias Drischmann - mathiasd

2004-05-28 08:41

I tested iReport for design. It provides settings to use serveral types of JRDataSource implementations.

Their are some bugs in iReport but it's useable. Some features of JasperReport are not supported yet so check out.

best wishes

Mathias

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic