We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Reading and Printing an image from a Database

2004 IR Help

By: sherifeldibani - sherifeldibani

Reading and Printing an image from a Database

2005-08-07 20:16

I am very new at this, and this may have been answered many ways berfore.... But never a step by step type instruction....

I have an image stored in a DB field which is read into my report query and available as a field (initially as a string, but I guess I can change it to inputstream, or byte, or whatever....)

How can get that image to print?

The documentations of Jasper did not cover this very well...

Can some please give me a step by step approach? sort of a "For Dummies" approach?

By: Lucian Chirita - lucianc

RE: Reading and Printing an image from a Data

2005-08-08 01:05

Hi

If you have 1.0.0 and you use JRResultSetDataSource (this is the case when you have the query specified in the report design), you can directly set the type of the field to java.awt.Image and then use the field value as the image expression. The data source will read the field as a binary stream an create the image object that will be rendered.

That is, you need something like

<field name="PictureField" class="java.awt.Image"/'>

and the image element in the detail band:

<image>

<reportElement ../>

<graphicElement ../>

<imageExpression class="java.awt.Image">

<![CDATA[$F{PictureField}]]>

</imageExpression>

</image>

Regards,

Lucian

2005-08-08 08:10

Alas, as I am vry green I am using iReport which only support V 0.6.7 for now.... Are there any special tricks to working with 0.6.7?

It seems that V1.0.0 has made things easier....

Thank you very much for your answers

2005-08-09 00:30

In 0.6.7, you can declare the field as java.io.InputStream and use the field value for the image expression (the expression will have the same type). At fill time, the image element will use the bytes read from the DB as the image data.

HTH,

Lucian

2005-08-09 08:07

Thanks, I will give that a shot!

2005-08-09 16:37

Tried the InputStrem field and expression, but it returned the following error: Not sure why....

Error exporting print... java.io.IOException: java.awt.Image fetch aborted or errored at com.lowagie.text.Image.getInstance(Unknown Source) at com.lowagie.text.Image.getInstance(Unknown Source) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.export.JRPdfExporter.exportImage(JRPdfExporter.java:1065) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.export.JRPdfExporter.exportPage(JRPdfExporter.java:451) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.export.JRPdfExporter.exportReportToStream(JRPdfExporter.java:395) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.export.JRPdfExporter.exportReport(JRPdfExporter.java:262) at it.businesslogic.ireport.IReportCompiler.run(IReportCompiler.java:745) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534) NESTED BY : java.io.IOException: java.awt.Image fetch aborted or errored at com.lowagie.text.Image.getInstance(Unknown Source) at com.lowagie.text.Image.getInstance(Unknown Source) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.export.JRPdfExporter.exportImage(JRPdfExporter.java:1065) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.export.JRPdfExporter.exportPage(JRPdfExporter.java:451) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.export.JRPdfExporter.exportReportToStream(JRPdfExporter.java:395) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.export.JRPdfExporter.exportReport(JRPdfExporter.java:262) at it.businesslogic.ireport.IReportCompiler.run(IReportCompiler.java:745) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534) NESTED BY : net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JRException: Error generating PDF report : Quote1 at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.export.JRPdfExporter.exportReportToStream(JRPdfExporter.java:412) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.export.JRPdfExporter.exportReport(JRPdfExporter.java:262) at it.businesslogic.ireport.IReportCompiler.run(IReportCompiler.java:745) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534) Caused by: java.io.IOException: java.awt.Image fetch aborted or errored at com.lowagie.text.Image.getInstance(Unknown Source) at com.lowagie.text.Image.getInstance(Unknown Source) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.export.JRPdfExporter.exportImage(JRPdfExporter.java:1065) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.export.JRPdfExporter.exportPage(JRPdfExporter.java:451) at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.export.JRPdfExporter.exportReportToStream(JRPdfExporter.java:395) ... 3 more

2005-08-09 18:06

Ok The last error is gone now.... Wrong Jasper Version, oops.... Now the report prints but the Image does not show up at all... (It is not empty in the DB)

2005-08-10 02:01

The JRResultSetDataSource uses ResultSet.getBinaryStream() when declaring a java.io.InputStream field. Make sure that your JDBC driver supports this method for your image column type and that the data in the table is indeed image data that can be used by java.awt.Toolkit.createImage(byte[]).

Regards,

Lucian

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic