We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Create XML Design Document in JAVA

ktrinad

By: DevJavSharly - nysharlene

Create XML Design Document in JAVA

2004-08-24 09:40

Hello,

I am really new to JasperReports, so this question is a bit entry-level, but I cannot seem to find a solution anywhere in the forums. I want to create reports, and I know that there should first be a design document in XML. My question is, do you create that document from scratch, or do you have java code that automatically generates this file? I have tried to create the file by using the JasperDesign class and calling functions such as "setQuery()", "setTitle()", etc. When I do execute the java code and generate a JasperPrint file (printed in XML), none of the attributes that I thought I created through the above mentioned function calls seems to be generated in the XML.

Am I going about this in the wrong way? I know that iReports is an option, but I would like to create reports from another swing application that I am developing, and thus need this functionality. Please help!

By: Daren O - rckrll106

RE: Create XML Design Document in JAVA

2004-08-25 06:21

You need to create a layout for reports. Report elements cannot position themselves.

Try using iReport and using their wizard to create a basic xml. This will space the text fields in the detail section per your query. At this point you could adjust the fields.

Compile that xml into the jasper file (in iReport its just clicking the compile button). Store the jasper file in a directory , load it, and then fill it using your swing application.

If you need something more dynamic you can build the xml file using the JasperDesign object in your java code but this is a bit more advanced.

Overall, jasper isn't designed to generate the report layout. However, there are tools like iReport that have made it easier to create jasper reports.

Good luck

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic