Changes to the Jaspersoft community edition download ×

Printing report as text, dot matrix printer

ktrinad

By: Daren O - rckrll106

Printing report as text, dot matrix printer

2004-05-04 08:07

First, I'd like to say I've been working with Jasper now for awhile (on laser printers) and have to say its a great report writer.

I've noticed that a simple report could be printed to a dot matrix printer (the format lines are stripped and just the text is exported).

However, I'm interested in knowing how to determine how Jasper spaces the text (when printed to a dot matrix). I've experimented with moving the widths of, and spaces between the text boxes and haven't figured out how Jasper spaces text to a dot matrix printer. I've also experimented with changing fonts (fixed width, and non) and get no change on the dot matrix.

My problem is I'd like to be able to print a report on both the laser printer and dot matrix. Furthermore, rely on the positioning of text printed on the dot matrix so it could print on forms.

If anyone has figured this out or if Teodor has any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

RE: Printing report as text, dot matrix printer

2004-05-04 10:17

Addition note, when I meantion printing to the dot matrix, I mean using Jasper to send the print job directly to the printer (i.e. using JRViewer, and the print button).

By: Dave Smith - rimmeraj

RE: Printing report as text, dot matrix print

2004-05-07 12:21

What about using a different exporter that goes goes to plain text? Or something that converts html output to text?

By: Giulio Toffoli - gt78

2004-05-12 08:46

iReport 0.3.0 ships with this kind of exporter JRTxtExporter (experimental).

Please note the iReport is covered by a GPL license, but if required, I'll happy to relese this specific component with a less restrictive license.

Giulio

2004-05-12 09:29

Good idea, but how does this exporter handle form feed?

I did a little experimenting with the CSV exporter to extract text and was able to use form feeds with it.

I see this is experimental, so if a form feed isn't handled now, could it be added?

2004-05-12 09:44

Also, how does the text exporter handle subreports?

From what I've tested, I believe subreports would not be handled and a simple report would have to be used.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic