We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Create chart with 2 series from single XML

Go to solution Solved by jerry_stocklausen,

Hi! I can't manage to add two series to my chart in Jaspersoft Studio. Here a simplified version of my XML:

<test>    <result name="A">        <point x="10" y="-5"/>        <point x="20" y="-1"/>        <point x="30" y="3"/>    </result>    <result name="B">        <point x="11" y="-5"/>        <point x="19" y="-1"/>        <point x="25" y="3"/>    </result></test>

So I want to put 2 series on my chart, one for results A and one for results B. I have created a dataset for A:

<subDataset name="res_a">        <property name="com.jaspersoft.studio.data.defaultdataadapter" value="XMLAdapter"/>        <queryString language="xPath">            <![CDATA[/test/result[@name = 'A']/point]]>        </queryString>        <field name="x_a" class="java.lang.String">            <fieldDescription><![CDATA[@x]]></fieldDescription>        </field>        <field name="y_a" class="java.lang.String">            <fieldDescription><![CDATA[@y]]></fieldDescription>        </field></subDataset>

And added it to the chart:

<xyLineChart>        <chart evaluationTime="Report">            <reportElement x="0" y="0" width="780" height="340"/>        </chart>        <xyDataset>            <dataset>                <datasetRun subDataset="res_a">                    <dataSourceExpression><![CDATA[((net.sf.jasperreports.engine.data.JRXmlDataSource)$P{REPORT_DATA_SOURCE}).subDataSource("/test/result[@name = 'A']/point")]]></dataSourceExpression>                </datasetRun>            </dataset>            <xySeries>                <seriesExpression><![CDATA["RESULTS A"]]></seriesExpression>                <xValueExpression><![CDATA[Double.parseDouble( $F{x})]]></xValueExpression>                <yValueExpression><![CDATA[Double.parseDouble( $F{y})]]></yValueExpression>            </xySeries>        </xyDataset>    [...]</xyLineChart>

This works fine and shows one curve on the chart. But how do I add the other results to the same chart? Do I create a second dataset? Outside or inside the chart? I tried several things and they all didn't work, it gave me errors each time.

Any help is appreciated!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Solution

In case someone has the same problem, I found a solution:

First, change the query to

/test/result[@name = 'A' or @name = 'B']/point

Then,  create another field in the dataset to differentiate the two reults

<field name="result" class="java.lang.String">    <fieldDescription><![CDATA[../@name]]></fieldDescription></field>

And use the results in the chart

<seriesExpression><![CDATA["RESULTS " + $F{result}]]></seriesExpression>