Generating reports from a web application

Hi

Years ago, I developed a java web app that among others, generated reports based on jasperreport library. It used a servlet to fill and export the reports.

Since then, the product has gone commercial, some API's have been deprecated, and in the forums, I can't find much trace of users following the same approach (generating reports from an app).

What would be the recommended approach to achieve report production from a web app? Should I use the jasperreport server? Is it still ok to use the jasterreport library only?

Thanks for your responses.

Jean-Noël

jncolin's picture

2 Answers:

You have options.

1. Keep doing it as you are today with the servlet.

• What APIs have been deprecated? Not on the JasperReports side.

2. JasperReports Server

• Has a REST API to run and export reports
  • Community version is AGPL licensed: not appropriate for embedding in your commercial application
  • Commercial Reporting Edition is the same as Community Server with some small extensions https://www.jaspersoft.com/editions

3. JasperReports IO

Sherman

swood_1's picture

Hi

Thanks for your response; basically, I used to run the following code:

//                exporter.setParameter(JRExporterParameter.JASPER_PRINT, jasperPrint);
//                exporter.setParameter(JRExporterParameter.OUTPUT_STREAM, resp.getOutputStream());

//                exporter.setParameter(JRHtmlExporterParameter.IMAGES_MAP, new HashMap());
//                exporter.setParameter(JRHtmlExporterParameter.IMAGES_URI, req.getContextPath() + "/image?image=");

but these APIs are deprecated.

jncolin's picture
Feedback
randomness