Changes to the Jaspersoft community edition download ×

Which is the proper way to work with complex types (lists and objects) in Jaspersoft?

fmartin1987

Please consider a MongoDB collection with the following document:

"_id": "clientsInfo"
    "data": {
        "clientsList" : [ 
            {
                "name" : "Mike",
                "country" : "USA"
            },
        ]
    }
After setting the DataSet and defining the Query like this...

{
        collectionName:'projectA',
        findQuery: {
            '_id':'clientsInfo',
        },
        findFields: {
            '_id':0,
            'data.clientsList':1
        },
    }
...I am able to display the first item of the fetched array (`java.util.List` type) in JasperSoft Studio inside a Text Field using the following expression:

But, considering that I would like to exhibit the whole data in a Name/Country Table...

Question1: How could I access any of the dictionary fields? Trying [get method][1] I obtain The method get(String) is undefined for the type Object. error. However, knowing that the object is an instance of com.mongodb.BasicDBObject it should have that method inherited (See [doc][2]).

I have also tried to cast object to org.json.JSONObject but then I get net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRExpressionEvalException: Error evaluating expression for source text: (JSONObject)$F{data.clientsList}.get(0) error.

Question2: Let's suppose we have already solved first question... How can I iterate the list to access not only the first item but all of them according to the array length? Is it possible to use for-loop sentence inside the JasperSoft Expression Editor? ([if-then-else seems to be available][3])

Thanks in advance, Any clue that point me in the right direction will be appreciated.

Note: If someone wants to earn StackOverflow reputation, question is also placed there: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/41396004/which-is-the-proper-way-to-work-with-complex-types-lists-and-objects-in-jasper

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just in case someone was in the same situation as I was, I must say this whole approach was wrong.

It's not about making a simple query which returns big block of complex data formatted as an object or list of objects and then manipulate it with JasperSoft Studio. Instead, what I had to do was design a more elaborated query which returns the simple fields I wanted to use straightforward. How to do this? By using Aggregation Framework.

So, by changing this...

{

collectionName:'projectA',

findQuery: {

'_id':'clientsInfo',

},

findFields: {

'_id':0,

'data.clientsList':1

},

}

...for this...

{

runCommand: {

aggregate : 'projectA',

pipeline : [

{'$match': {'_id':'clientsInfo'}},

{'$project': {'data.clientsList': 1}},

{'$unwind': '$data'},

{'$unwind': '$data.clientsList'}

]

}

}

...is how I get `name` and `country` fields in order to use them in Text Fields, Tables, ...etc.