[#13016] - Adobe Reader unable to extract embedded OpenType font in PDF exported by JasperReports

Category:
Bug report
Priority:
Normal
New
Project: Severity:
Minor
Resolution:
Open
Component: Reproducibility:
Always
Assigned to:

Java version: 11.x
Eclipse version: 2020-06 (4.16.0)
JasperSoft Studio plug in version: 6.13
JasperReports Library version: 6.13
Operating System: Windows 10 version 1909
Adobe Acrobat Reader DC version: 2020.012.20041

Font name: Noto Sans CJK SC Regular
Font download link: https://noto-website-2.storage.googleapis.com/pkgs/NotoSansCJKsc-hinted.zip
Font file name: NotoSansCJKsc-Regular.otf

It is a OpenType font. To support OpenType font, I need to use Java version 11 or newer, and use Eclipse with combination of the Jaspersoft Studio plugin.

I am reporting this bug as bug for JasperReports Library, because I think Jaspersoft Studio use that library.

After exporting the report to PDF, when I try to open the PDF file with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, it will show an error "Cannot extract the embedded font .....".

However, if you try to use the same font in other software like LibreOffice Writer, generated PDF can be opened by Adobe Acrobat Reader DC without any issue.

Here are the steps to reproduce:
1. Download and unzip the fonts to any directory.
2. Download and install AdoptOpenJDK version 11 from https://adoptopenjdk.net/releases.html .
3. Download and install Eclipse version 2020-06 (4.16.0) or newer, then configure it to use Java 11.
4. Run Eclipse.
5. In Eclipse, go to Help -> Eclipse Marketplace, install the JasperSoft Studio plugin.
6. Restart Eclipse.
7. Go to Window -> Perspective -> Open Perspective -> Other, open the "Report Design" perspective.
8. Go to preferences by clicking Window -> Preferences.
9. In preferences window, go to JasperSoft Studio -> Fonts.
10. Add the downloaded Font by clicking the Add button, enter "Noto Sans CJK SC Regular" in Family name field, select the font file "NotoSansCJKsc-Regular.otf" in "TrueType" field, set the PDF encoding to "Identity-H", check the "Embed this font in PDF document", click Finish, click Apply, then close the preferences window.
11. Restart Eclipse again.
12. Create a new JasperReport project.
13. Import the sample JRXML file "Test Chinese.jrxml", which can be found in the attached zip file, to the new JasperReport project.
14. Preview the report. Choose "One Empty Record" as data source.
15. In preview, save the report to PDF format.
16. Open the PDF file with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, Adobe Acrobat Reader DC will show the error.

Attached here with a zip file consist of the following documents:
1. Sample jrxml file ("Test Chinese.jrxml").
2. Screenshot of font configuration ("Font configuration.png").
3. Screenshot of previewing report in Eclipse ("Eclipse report preview.png").
4. Screenshot of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC error ("Adobe Acrobat Reader DC error.png").

AttachmentSize
Package icon jasperreportsbug.zip67.27 KB
v6 .13
cshong87's picture

1 Comment:

same problem occurs out project.
jasperreports v6.17.0 / Java 16

Feedback
randomness