Project: Severity:
Trivial
Resolution:
Open
Component: Reproducibility:
Always
Assigned to:

Issue moved from:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1024201&group_...

Consult the original issue for any attachments.

[ 1024201 ] Automatic PDF-font switching when edit font style

Submitted By: C-Box - c-box
Date Submitted: 2004-09-07 23:54
Last Updated By: gt78 - Comment added
Date Last Updated: 2004-09-08 06:56
Number of Comments: 4
Number of Attachments: 0
Category: Interface Improvements (example)
Group: Next Release
Assigned To: Giulio Toffoli
Priority: 5

Summary:
Automatic PDF-font switching when edit font style

Hi giulio,

I recognized that the bold and italic font style changes are shown great in JasperViewer but to have them in PDF you have to switch to another PDF-Font.....
that's because of iText and JasperReports ( I guess and found in some older threads in JasperReports forum).

To switch the pdf-font e.g. from Helvetica to Helvetica-bold will mostly be forgetten when you design some reports.

So what about an "OnClickEvent" on the bold-checkbox (and of course also italic) that looks if a special REPORT-FONT is already set ... then do nothing (if somebody uses report fonts then the PDF-Font is switched already, that is ok).

But when just a normal font is choosen (in most cases Arial then switch to the corresponding PDF-Font (when bold, then Helvetica-Bold, when not bold, then back to
Helvetica, when italic then to Helvetica-Oblique, when bold and italic then Helvetica-BoldOblique and so on. I guess the most used fonts are Arial, TimesNewRoman and Courier... so it should be enough for those three fonts.

So the chance to forget to set the correct PDF-Font is minimum.

Perhaps an option "ChangePDFFontOnFontStyleChange" in the general options let the user decide to use that new feature or not. (In my case I'D LOVE IT!!!!!!) :-)

What do you think about it? If it is to complex, than perhaps at least a Warning-Message (also with an option to switch that feature on/off) that reminds the user to change the PDF-Font (if no special "report-font" is already choosen).

tia
C-Box

Comments

Date: 2004-09-08 06:56
Sender: gt78SourceForge.net SubscriberProject Admin
Logged In: YES
user_id=616744

Hi C-Box,

they are for now two toolbars: text formatting and align formatting. Buttons ara not all active. The last button is only

a test... will be removed. About Elements formatting tool bar, Yes, it will contain the align-buttons etc...

About the FeatureRequest this was it already in iReport 0.1.0... like a good suggestion.

Date: 2004-09-08 06:55
user_id=616744

Hi C-Box,

they are for now two toolbars: text formatting and align formatting. Buttons ara not all active. The last button is only

a test... will be removed. About Elements formatting tool bar, Yes, it will contain the align-buttons etc...

About the FeatureRequest this was it already in iReport 0.1.0... like a good suggestion.

Date: 2004-09-08 05:58
Sender: c-box
user_id=1021972

Hi again Guilio,

I pulled the latest version of iReport from CVS 5 minutes ago... the new ToolBar's are GREAT.

But what for are the last buttons in the "Text formating" Toolbar?
Will the "Elements formating" Toolbar contain the align-buttons for quick align the selected elements with just one click (I mentioned it in another thread some weeks
ago where you built in the keyboard shortcuts already)

And related to that FeatureRequest, what to you think about the dynamic set of the corresponding PDF-font if the user switches from normal to bold to italic or vice versa? (The problem is - like I wrote in this RFE already - that it's always forgotten and the PDF output don't match the preview in JasperViewer).

tia + great work again of you + greetings from Germany

C-Box

Date: 2004-09-08 02:24
user_id=616744

Sure. C-Box, have you see new toolbars ? What about PDF- font here ? In the text toolbar is not present the pdf-font combo box. What do you think about?

Giulio

No Files Currently Attached

tcloonan's picture
Feedback
randomness