Assigned
Project: Severity:
Critical
Resolution:
Open
Component: Reproducibility:
Always
Assigned to:

I installed iReport 3.7.2 today with no apparent problem.

When I try to save changes to a report, I get an error dialog titled "Error saving", with the message

Error saving the JRXML: null fails
See the log file for more details.

I tried this with a couple of reports.

AttachmentSize
Binary Data --messages.log28.97 KB
Binary Data CustOrdersByDate.jrxml52.43 KB
Binary Data ClassLaneReport.jrxml2.34 KB
Binary Data messages.log.099.1 KB
PlexPro's picture

10 Comments:

This is a bug in JasperReports, thanks for reporting it.
Do you still have the original jrxml? Just in casem can you attach it to this bug request? I may suggest you a temporary workaround.

I will attach one of the jrxmls with which I was working.

I get this same type of error when I trying to save a report to an earlier version of JasperReports for compatibility reasons.

>> I get this same type of error when I trying to save a report to an earlier version of JasperReports for compatibility reasons.

Ah, this is the problem.

Unfortunately, we are using purchased software which is running the Jasper 2.0.5 engine. Up to now, I have been using report jrxmls at version 3.0.0, but compiling my subreport jaspers with 2.0.5.

I'm thinking that there was a reason that I didn't want to advance beyond 3.0.0 (or 3.5.0?) for my jrxmls, so I having been using the compatibility feature to save the jrxmls according to version 3.0.0.

Thus, I normally use either iReport 2.0.5 (for subreports), or 3.0.0 (for reports), although on occasion I use iReport 3.7.x, saving to version ... 3.5.0 (I had thought that I was referencing 3.0.0, but apparently not so, at least lately).

If I change the compatibility setting to "Last version", it saves normally.

This does raise the question, is there really any need for me to use a prior version for the report jrxmls? Only if I use certain features of 3.7.2? Which ones? Keeping in mind that our purchased software is running 2.0.5...

>>This does raise the question, is there really any need for me to use a prior version for the report jrxmls? Only if I use certain features of 3.7.2? Which ones? Keeping in mind that our purchased software is running 2.0.5...

That is the million dollar question. I have used what I thought was 'new' stuff only to find out that it would work in a older version of JasperReports. So, it is very difficult to know what will and will not work. That is why I rely on the Compatibility setting. I expect it to tell me that I am using something that is not supported in a older version, but right now it is totally broken. I resorted to downloading and installing 3.7.0 to get to some sort of stable release.

ok, no workaround available, but the Jasper guys are going to fix it for 3.7.3.

Giulio

I am using iReport 3.7.4 and I am running into this problem when I try to add a crosstab. When I look at the resultant JRXML file that is generated there is no crosstab. Can someone please advise?
Attached are the JRXML file and the messages log.

My report is ClassLaneReport.jrxml and the log file is message.log.0

View -> IDE Log

or

<user home>/.ireport/<version>/var/log/messages.log

Thanks Giulio!

Feedback
randomness