Beginner looking for a few guidelines migrating from crystal to jasper

_sbs_
Go to solution Solved by oh,

Hi, 

I am a little struggling when starting with jasper report, and I am wondering if I am not missing some key design elements to achieve in jasper what was easy to build in crystal reports.

I have a report based on 1 big query (big = many columns aggregating the data from 6 different tables). The report is a simple master detail, except that there are 5 levels of details.

In the crystal philosophy, I have 1 query, 1 id param to get only the corresponding rows in my report. The 1 file report organises all the details levels using break sections.

It seems to me that I need a very different approach with jasperreport using 6 reports, each with 1 query, and parameters to link each master report with its detail sub-report.

Now the questions:

1/ Is this the way to do? or there is something to design master/details for several levels in jasper that I have missed?

2/ How is one supposed to layout the subreport so that they are properly aligned in the master report?

3/ I did not find how to hide details if the subdetail report is missing

4/ I am under the impression that the subreport implies some margin. So when I embed 5 levels of subreports, each detail takes more space than necessary, and I can't get a compact report as I did in crystal

Regards,

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Solution

Hi,

you can achieve a master detail (.. detail...) pattern with "Groups". Right click onto root element in outline and create group.

If you work with subreports, just ensure to remove the margins in the subreport (e.g. right click on page margins and select "Remove Page Margins"). 

You can hide parts in JasperReports with "Print when expression" or with "remove line when blank".

Regards,

Oli

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/30/2024 at 11:03 AM, oh said:

Hi,

you can achieve a master detail (.. detail...) pattern with "Groups". Right click onto root element in outline and create group.

If you work with subreports, just ensure to remove the margins in the subreport (e.g. right click on page margins and select "Remove Page Margins"). 

You can hide parts in JasperReports with "Print when expression" or with "remove line when blank".

Regards,

Oli

Thank you, 

This makes much more sense than cascading the subreports. Now I think I should be able to complete testing.

Regards,