We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Jasper report error: Infinite loop creating new page due to page header overflow

akasson

I have a number of reports in production written in Jasper, that have been running fine for years.   All of a sudden, and not all the time, some reports are not working due to this error:

ServletWrappe E com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ServletWrapper service SRVE0014E: Uncaught service() exception root cause action: org.springframework.web.util.NestedServletException: Request processing failed; nested exception is net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JRRuntimeException: Infinite loop creating new page due to page header overflow.
net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JRRuntimeException: Infinite loop creating new page due to page header overflow.
    at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRVerticalFiller.fillPageHeader(JRVerticalFiller.java:421)
    at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRVerticalFiller.fillReportStart(JRVerticalFiller.java:264)
    at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRVerticalFiller.fillReport(JRVerticalFiller.java:128)
    at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRBaseFiller.fill(JRBaseFiller.java:946)
    at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRBaseFiller.fill(JRBaseFiller.java:864)
    at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFiller.fillReport(JRFiller.java:84)
    at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JasperFillManager.fillReport(JasperFillManager.java:624).......

I thought it had to do with users running large searches, but that's not the case.   The wierd thing is, it doesn't happen all the time.    Some days, it's fine.   When the error occurs, the reports don't work, and the application has to be restarted.

I googled the error of course, seems like it has to do with sub reports.  But why all of a sudden, and why not all the time?   Wouldn't a page flow error occur everytime if there was a bug?

This is a J2EE application written in the Spring Framework housed on WebSphere.   Jasper 4.0.2.   Developed in iReport.   Java 8 compliant.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.   Thank you.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This problem occurs when a TextFiled or other component is too large for your container.
Look your "with" and "height" from your components on the band where occured the problem. And look the propertie "Split Type" from the same band. The option "prevent" may be can cause the same problem.

Thank you for your response.  I will try those options.  What is perplexing to me is that the error occurs intermittently.   Works fine for a number of days, then the issue occurs.  App is then re-started, and then we run the same report with the same parameters from which the error occurred, and then no issue.

• 5 years later...
same behavior reported by akasson 6 years ago ... Infinite loop occurs intermittently. The same report with the same data sometimes works fine and other times crashes "Infinite loop ..." Spring Framework - WebSphere 8.5.5.20 - Jasper 3.7.0. Any ideas?