We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Freezing the serialVersionUID

By: Teodor Danciu - teodord

Freezing the serialVersionUID

2006-02-22 05:55

Hi,

We are now considering freezing

the serialVersionUID to the current 10200 value,

which corresponds to the latest JR 1.2.0 release.

In the future, the serialVersionUID will no longer

be increased with every new release, making

compiler *.jasper files and generated *.jrprint

documents compatible from one version to another.

This will require us paying more attention

when making structural modifications to our

serializable object model, but I think we'll

manage.

Any feedback on this would be very helful.

Thank you,

Teodor

By: jorge - sirion_oef

RE: Freezing the serialVersionUID

2006-02-24 15:47

If you are going to make this change, would be useful look in a better compatibility with older versions. JasperReports is growing fast and personally (and i supose, i'm not the only one), in 2 or 3 years, i don't want to recompile all the reports that i make just for use a great new feature in a newer version.

i know that this is very dificult, but some day you will have to do that.

By: Daren O - rckrll106

2006-02-27 05:51

I had to deal with this issue in the past and even brought up the issue with Teodord at one time. I wasn't sure of a work around at the time. Well it was suggested to me that you can store the JasperPrint object as xml and reload that back in without any serialVersionUID issues. This works fine and with prior versions. So freezing it might help with the frustration in the future but I can't see where it will help with older versions.

With regards to Teodords question to change it; I once suggested to remove the serialVersionUID (but since I found a work around - that works with prior versions) I'm now thinking it might not be that big of an issue esp if it helps debug.

By: nsorochan - nsorochan

2006-02-27 08:16

I am fairly new to Jasper and I like it alot. I have a lot of experience with Crystal and I think Jasper is a much better product. If Jasper does change the serializing of the files, it would be really helpful if it were backwards compatable. Or at the least, provide some kind of method that would load an old version and resave it under the newer version.

thanx

By: jorge - sirion_oef

2006-02-27 15:07

Other consideration is the posibility of run different versions of jasperreports with the same lib.

I'm thinking in an environment where jasperreports is the only report tool and it has been used for several years; imagine that you have 20, 30 reports and you want to add only just a simple report with a new functionallity; or you simply want to update the lib; recompile and check one by one just for this... =(

By: Code_Slave - code_slave

2006-03-05 13:51

Hurray!!

Either that or add some routines to check the validity of the compiled report file being passed, and return a flag if it can be used ,instead of the "file stream errors"

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic