Changes to the Jaspersoft community edition download ×

The "sale" of the copyrights

By: Mykel Alvis - evilarchitect

The "sale" of the copyrights

2005-04-26 10:02

Hey folks,

I'm a long-time user and promoter of JR, but haven't been involved for the past several months. I just read on Slashdot about the move to JasperSoft. The prevailing talk seems to be that this move would be great for Teodor, which I highly support, and potentially questionable for the F/OSS community.

I'm interested in hearing what the community, especially TD, has to say about the continuation of the LGPL-style licensing of JR in the future and, for instance, if the project will fork off of SF and onto some other service or serviced at a less accessible location.

If this has been covered elsewhere, my apologies.

Mykel

By: Barry Klawans - bklawans

RE: The "sale" of the copyrights

2005-04-26 19:27

Mykel,

Thanks for the input. Having met Teodor and worked with him for several months now, I share your (and other JasperReports users) high regards for him.

By all means give us your feature requests. We want JasperReports to continue to be the best open source reporting product out there, and the only way we can do this is if you, the community, tell us what you want. Of course, no promised on when they will be added :-)

We do want new contributers to the project. We are working on our contributer guidelines now, and will be adding a "how to join" section to the web site in the next few weeks. We will be asking all contributers to sign some sort of contributers license agreement, just like the Apache Foundation does. Basically we will be asking all contributers to state that they own the rights to any code they are contributing, that they are not violating any patents, and some sort of permanent copyright grant to JasperSoft. This will allow us to offer idemnification to our support customers.

-Barry

2005-04-27 07:06

Barry,

That's pretty much all the reassurance I think anyone could expect. Good luck on the commercial side of this field. :)

By: kootjekip - kootjekip

2005-05-04 04:28

It is always a possibillity that a software product written as an OS project suddenly goes to the c

2005-04-26 17:05

Hi Mykel,

Excellent questions. As the CTO of JasperSoft hopefully I can answer all of them.

First of all, there is a lot of confusion going on in the Slashdot discusion you saw. The initial Slashdot posting was triggered by an article in ZDnet about acquiring open source projects, and unfortunately a number of Slashdot readers thought our intent was to close the source. This is absolutely not the case.

We are commited to keeping JasperReports open source. We will be enhancing JasperReports, and the enhancements will be open source. We will be offering support and services to customers who desire them, but anybody will be able to continue to download and use JasperReports free of charge, under an OSI approved license.

I think this a win for the JasperReports community - a popular project becomes the sole focus of its founder, corporate users can get the support that their companies often require as a prerequisite to using an open source project, and JasperReports gets more full time developers. We will be adding tight integration with JFreeCharts in the next few months, followed by CrossTab style reports. All enhancements will be under the LGPL.

Will JasperReports stay on SF forever? Who knows? If we do ever move it off, it will be somewhere as easy to access as SF, and the code will not be hidden deep in a commercial web site. The only reason I can think of to ever move it would be to provide better branding, a lo JBoss or SugarCRM. At this point in time, we have no plans to move it off of Source Forge.

I hope this helps clear up any confusion about the future of JasperReports.

-Barry Klawans

2005-04-26 18:46

Barry,

I'd like to thank you for taking the time to respond and to solidify the statements that have already been made. I think that those of us with current relationship with Teodor and the product are all excited for him.

I am curious about how responsive the product is expected to remain given the resources that are expected to be applied. More specifically, I think a lot of us were holding off on requests because we knew the time-sink that TD would have trying to fill those. Also given that quite a few of us are also very familiar with the codebase, I for one am curious of how receptive the new team will be to outside suggestions, patches, entire new features, etc.

Thanks again for your response and thanks for helping take this great product further

Mykel

By: Tom Morris - tfmorris

2005-05-05 11:21

As I understand the branding, JasperReports is the brand used for the open source piece and the closed source pieces get one or more different product names/brands, so the issue isn't really so much about "keeping JasperReports open source," but rather what goes into JasperReports classic versus what goes into various closed source commercial add-on modules.

Now with $15M invested so far and talk of a C-round soon, the VCs are obviously going to be looking for a return on their investment. Can you provide some insight into what types of feature requests will get added to JR "classic" versus those that will get funnelled off into commercial products?

Tom

p.s. I'm not sure why "sale" is in quotes in the title for this post. The copyright to the code was definitely sold lock, stock, and barrel to the corporation.

2005-05-05 12:13

Hi Tom,

You are right - JasperReports is the branding of the open source reporting library, and JasperDecisions is the branding of the closed source reporting server.

The guidelines for what gets added to the open source vs closed source products are pretty simple. If the features belongs in the core reporting library, it goes into the open source JasperReports. If the feature is server based, it goes into JasperDecisions. For example, cross tabs are clearly a core feature, and goes into the library. An interactive report with input controls requires a server, and goes into the commercial product.

We do not have any plans to make enhancement to the JasperReports library closed source. To do so would mean we are leaving reporting functionality out of JasperReports, which would hinder adoptation.

-Barry Klawans

2005-05-05 12:46

Barry,

I am curious about the introduction of non-competes in the licensing. IANAL, but as I understand it, the copyright holder can make the license such that it would not be permissable to create an OSS product that competes with your server product.

What I'm asking is does JasperDecisions have plans to restrict the licensing such that I couldn't write an OS report server if (your server wasn't working for me/I could do it better/yours is too expensive/whatever)? Not that I have plans to do so, since it's a huge undertaking, but I do like to know where the lines are so I don't kick a ball out of play. :)

2005-05-05 18:14

I'm not a lawyer either, but as I understand it, if we put any sort of non-compliant clause in the license, the license would no longer be LGPL, and in fact wouldn't be an OSI approved license. The whole concept of open source breaks down if the license says "you can use this only in ways we approve".

Regardless of the legal issues, we have no plans to add any sort of license restrictions. As I said earlier, we are absolutely commited to keeping JR under an OSI approved license, and are not planning to change the licensing from LGPL to some other OSI license.

-Barry Klawans

2005-05-05 18:28

That's great news, Barry. Sorry to bust your chops so much about this, but it's one of the first instances where I've had a vested interest at the time of a change like this.

I'm fairly certain that I speak for the rest of the JR community in saying once again that this sounds like an incredibly positive thing for Teodor and every one of us.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic