Variable sequencing and dependancy

leunajyee

Hi all,

I've been using JasperReports for quite a while and we came across a complicated report that required us to do calculations based on our client's business and mathematical formulas.  I was wondering about variables, I cannot see a way for variables to wait on each other before getting printed.

Example,

I have variable 3 wich depends on the calculations of variable 1 and variable 2.  What happens is that when calculations within dependent variables like the one I mentioned gets complicated, the fill up process displays null for the variable.  I have a feeling that JasperReports prints the variable at the start of the fill-up process without doing/finishing the calculations beforehand.  

I can also see this happen when the variable is waiting for the return value from a subreport.  JasperReports fills up the variable without waiting for the other dependencies to finish.  In this case, the variable should be dependent on the return value from the subreport before getting prinited, but JasperReports prints variable anyway which results in displaying a null for the variable.  

Unless the variable which is dependent on the subreport gets placed in the Summary band, it will not print - especially when placing it on the Details band.

JasperReports is an advanced tool, so I cannot see (and did not expect) that these sort of things such as variable dependency aren't addressed even with the tools early days.

Anyone out here have had the same problem before?  Maybe you have some workaround on this that you finished.  Your help and advises will be very much appreciated.

Best regards,

Jan

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days