We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Error evaluating expression $P{REPORT_SCRIPTLET}.format_date( $F{lunchdate} )

cnesbit

I've got a report that uses a scriptlet I wrote to run several functions. non of them seem to work all of a sudden. here's an example of one I call from the report, it takes a string in 1 date format and returns the same date in a different format.

Error evaluating expression $P{REPORT_SCRIPTLET}.format_date( $F{lunchdate} )

It does work, in ireport, and it does work from the command line when I call it like a normal class file. But it does not work when I deploy it in a *.war file.

here's the line in my webapp's code that it "dies" on, though this has never broken before: 

JasperRunManager.runReportToPdfFile(reportFile.getPath(), rptOutputName, parameters, conn);

here's the actual stacktrace:

SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet pdf threw exception                                                                                                                                                                                     net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JRRuntimeException: Error loading report v2/lunch_orders_monthly. Please contact your school administrator if this error persists.                                                                                ERROR: Error evaluating expression :                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Source text : $P{REPORT_SCRIPTLET}.format_date( $F{lunchdate} )                                                                                                                                                                               at servlets.pdf.service(pdf.java:145)                                                                                                                                                                                                         at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)                                                                                                                                                                               at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)                                                                                                                                          at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)                                                                                                                                                  at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:233)                                                                                                                                                        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:191)                                                                                                                                                        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)                                                                                                                                                              at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)                                                                                                                                                              at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)                                                                                                                                                          at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:298)                                                                                                                                                                at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:857)                                                                                                                                                                 at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:588)                                                                                                                                           at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:489)                                                                                                                                                                    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:679)      

Any help would be appreciated. This problem could prevent me from meeting a deadline for a customer at the end of the week.

-cnesbit

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry dude, but it looks like a application specific issue. You said "all of a sudden", does that mean it use to work? If yes, what changed? Looks like you have missing code in your application or older jar or class sitting in web-app. I would compare it against a version control.

dtiwan
Wrote:

Sorry dude, but it looks like a application specific issue. You said "all of a sudden", does that mean it use to work? If yes, what changed? Looks like you have missing code in your application or older jar or class sitting in web-app. I would compare it against a version control.

yes, it used to work. Changes are mainly related to adding additional *.jar files to my project, which I needed for some of the code I was adding. You say, it looks like an application specific issue, and I was thinking the same thing. I guess my question is this:

When you're adding a scriptlet to a report and it works in ireport, on the commandline, but not in the web-app what sort of specific things do I need to look for to fix this inconsistancy? I've been at this for a few days now, and maybe I'm just overlooking something unknowingly.

This project is one of my first, in the area of Java and web-apps. So keep that in mind when you're about to leave out "something obvious". :)

Thanks!

cnesbit

Post Edited by cnesbit at 08/02/2011 17:16

Post Edited by cnesbit at 08/02/2011 17:16

[FIXED]: I'm not sure what code went "missing", but apparently there was something lying around in my war file that shouldn't've been (or was missing, and shoulda been there). When I added the "clean" step to the beginning of my ant build script, my reports magically started working again.

Now, after effectively wasting 2 days, I know why I don't make a habit of programming in Java. It's so picky, it's not enough to write flawless code and have a flawless build script, you also have to "start over" everytime you recompile.