Ultimate Guide for iReports

lknueve

Has anyone compared the Ultimate Guide for iReport book to the iReport 3.7 book (http://www.amazon.com/iReport-3-7-Shamsuddin-Ahammad/dp/1847198805)? My co-worker has this book, but I am not finding it very useful for report developing? It assumes you have Java experience already and does not offer a lot on the different properties available. Such as for pagination or limiting fields in certain situations. Does the Ultimate Guide have specific examples within the book of what the different properties do? For Java newbies? Since it's only available online and I can't look through the book to check myself, I hate to spend money and still have same issues......

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Felt and urge to reply to this one, while I agree with David that the documentation could definitely use some improvement, I did find it extremely useful when I first picked up iReport and started doing reports. Sure, it doesn't provide step by step guide of how-to but there is some great information in there and for the cost, $24 bucks, I chalk it up to just another resource and if you even have one or two of those "hmm didn't know that" moments it's worth it. BTW the sample library is another great resource.

I do think that in order to be truly successful with iReport you have to have some level of development experience, or at least the capability to pick up simple coding techniques as so much of iReport relies on use of expressions, wouldn't let it scare you though as there are so many samples, sites, examples and you can usually find out how to do what you need without issue.

The only way to really fully get into iReport is to use it, do as many reports as you can, it gets easier and easier and before long you can bust them out quickly, I have done literally hundreds at this point and have complete confidence to do almost any report I come across, FYI, first time I ever used java was with iReport. Although I do have a development background.

The most useful resource around is this forum, I have been through every post available, not because I was having an issue, more to learn about how others were doing things or when I am creating a report I go, oh ya I think I saw that, really does help, which is why I am trying to post as much as I can now, pay it forward.

hmmmmmm, I think maybe users in this forum should write a book on iReport, vote on topics, people create chapters, others review, etc.. just a thought

FYI, I also have the book iReport 3.7 by Shamsuddin Ahammad from Packt Publishing.  Unfortunately it doesn't add much more (if any) over the Ultimate Guide.  Definitely not worth the purchase price but you can find the ebook lying around somewhere on the internet, not that I condone free downloads of software for a free open source tool like iReport. :)