We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Potential bug in JS 3.5 when viewing repository

ldangelo

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this problem (or if it has been fixed in a later version).

We are using jasper server to schedule report execution.  The output of the reports is stored in a folder in the repository "Content files".  The reports being generated are very large 80-160 MB.  And there are a lot of them.  When you use the jasper server UI to view the contents of this folder it issues a query to get the list of JFileResource in that folder...  The problem comes when this query returns the data stored in the blob.  Obviously with 100's of reports generated 80M and larger this is not going scale (we run out of memory).  

So my questions:

1) Is this the case in the most recent version of JS?

2) Has anyone else experienced this problem?

3) Why would it return the contents of the blob at all?  Is this necessary?

I know that conventional wisdom on this forum is to increase the amount of heap available.  However, we are running jasper server in a multi-tentant environment with 50 companies accessing the same instance with an average of 5 users per company.  Obviously increasing heap space will eventually fail if say 3 people click on the folder at the same time...  What I'm looking at doing is modifying the source to not include the contents of the blob but I have no idea what the impact of doing this would be.

Any advice would be appreciated...

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ldangelo
Wrote:

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this problem (or if it has been fixed in a later version).

We are using jasper server to schedule report execution.  The output of the reports is stored in a folder in the repository "Content files".  The reports being generated are very large 80-160 MB.  And there are a lot of them.  When you use the jasper server UI to view the contents of this folder it issues a query to get the list of JFileResource in that folder...  The problem comes when this query returns the data stored in the blob.  Obviously with 100's of reports generated 80M and larger this is not going scale (we run out of memory).  

So my questions:

1) Is this the case in the most recent version of JS?

2) Has anyone else experienced this problem?

3) Why would it return the contents of the blob at all?  Is this necessary?

I know that conventional wisdom on this forum is to increase the amount of heap available.  However, we are running jasper server in a multi-tentant environment with 50 companies accessing the same instance with an average of 5 users per company.  Obviously increasing heap space will eventually fail if say 3 people click on the folder at the same time...  What I'm looking at doing is modifying the source to not include the contents of the blob but I have no idea what the impact of doing this would be.

Any advice would be appreciated...

I just looked through the Jaspersoft bug database and found that this is fixed in version 3.7.

I tried it out myself by turning Hibernate SQL debugging on, which shows all the SQL that Hibernate is doing (it's a lot).

Actually, when I schedule a report, it creates a content resource (in table JIContentResource) instead of a file resource. These two are almost the same, but the fix is only for content resources, which will cover the issue you described.

In any case, I observed that the JIContentResource.data column is not included unless you display a particular report output, which is what you probably want to happen.

I would advise you to upgrade to 3.7--or if you can wait a little while, we will be coming out with the 3.7.1 version of CE in the next month.

BTW, I just noticed that you were considering modifying the source.

If for some reason you can't upgrade to 3.7 and are interested in knowing how we fixed it, it's checked into the js-3.5.0 branch under revision 16310. Here's the URL for that revision in the public JS repository: http://jasperforge.org/scm/viewvc.php/?view=rev&root=jasperserver&revision=16310

Let me know if you have any more questions about this.

This forum rocks!  Thank you all for the feedback.  Right now I'm going to patch my 3.5 install and do an upgrade in our next iteration.  Unfortunately we have modified jasper server community edition to allow it to run in a multi-tenant environment as well as changes to the UI to restrict access to certain functions and add a "wizard" for report generation...  If you guys have any interest in what we have done you can check it out here:

http://www.orangeleap.com/theguru.shtml

Obviously this is open source so if you want to use it feel free.

Again, thank you!

-LeoD