We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

SMTP config trouble

benu

I've just spun up a copy of the latest JasperServer - haven't used it since the v2 days - it's greatly improved! However, I can't get the SMTP e-mailing of reports using the scheduler to work. I believe I've configured js.quartz.properties properly, and have set the following accordingly in JASPER_ROOT/WEB-INF/applicationContext-report-scheduling.xml:

<property name="javaMailProperties">
  <props>
    <prop key="mail.smtp.auth">true
    </prop>
    <prop key="mail.smtp.starttls.enable">true
    </prop>
  </props>
</property>

(have tried with the TTL line present and absent)

I'm getting very, very little helpful logging. In both the jasperserver.log and the catalina.out file I get the following trace, but not necessarily related to running the scheduled report:

2010-04-29 19:18:22,737 ERROR JSErrorPage_jsp,http-8080-Processor21:327 -
org.springframework.webflow.engine.NoMatchingTransitionException: No transition found on occurence of event 'jobDetails' in state 'jobDetails' of flow 'reportJobFlow' -- valid transitional criteria are array<TransitionCriteria>[next, jobTrigger, jobParameters, jobOutput, save] -- likely programmer error, check the set of TransitionCriteria for this state
        at org.springframework.webflow.engine.TransitionableState.getRequiredTransition(TransitionableState.java:93)
        at org.springframework.webflow.engine.TransitionableState.handleEvent(TransitionableState.java:119)
        at org.springframework.webflow.engine.Flow.handleEvent(Flow.java:555)
        at org.springframework.webflow.engine.impl.FlowExecutionImpl.handleEvent(FlowExecutionImpl.java:386)
        at org.springframework.webflow.engine.impl.RequestControlContextImpl.handleEvent(RequestControlContextImpl.java:210)
        at org.springframework.webflow.engine.ViewState.handleEvent(ViewState.java:230)
        at org.springframework.webflow.engine.ViewState.resume(ViewState.java:196)
        at org.springframework.webflow.engine.Flow.resume(Flow.java:545)
        at org.springframework.webflow.engine.impl.FlowExecutionImpl.resume(FlowExecutionImpl.java:259)
        at org.springframework.webflow.executor.FlowExecutorImpl.resumeExecution(FlowExecutorImpl.java:163)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
(truncated - could post more if that'd be helpful)

I think the biggest issue, here, is that I'm just not getting the kind of logging I need to see in order to know the source of the problem.

Thanks in advance for any guidance! -Ben

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I didn't fix this, but I've got a workaround: I'm using one of our GMail accounts to do the e-mailing. This is not an ideal solution, but works. The strange thing is, it works great with GMail, but when I hook it up to Rackspace, it fails (and with no errors/logging). I know the SMTP credentials & config are right, as we use them with other automated e-mail services (e.g.: notification of failed backup jobs). I'm stumped.

So, if anyone has a clue as to why authenticating against owa.mailseat.com:2525 would faile (this is the Rackspace SMTP endpoint), please reply to this post. And thanks! -Ben

Thanks for the reply, Lucian. There were no pertinent messages in the View|Messages screen, unfortunately. Also, we'll likely be migrating to a different hosted mail solution in the near future, so I don't want to spend the time troubleshooting Rackspace - it may become a non-issue. I'll try out the setup on our new mail server and re-open this issue if I'm still having trouble. Otherwise, routing mail through smtp.gmail.com is working great. JasperServer is a great product! Things have REALLY improved since I was working in it a couple years ago; same for iReport. Nice work! -Ben

• 1 month later...

OK, slightly different issue, but related: is there a way to get JasperServer to retry e-mail transmission? I'm getting intermittent failures, and it would be nice to have JasperServer retry sending. Here's the error:

2010-07-02 00:00:05,195 ERROR ReportExecutionJob,quartzScheduler_Worker-1:308 - An error occurred while sending job error notification.

org.springframework.mail.MailSendException; nested exception details (1) are:

Failed message 1:

com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPSendFailedException: 421 4.7.0 Temporary System Problem. Try again later (). v20sm49682322qce.10

at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.issueSendCommand(SMTPTransport.java:1388)

at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.finishData(SMTPTransport.java:1215)

at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.sendMessage(SMTPTransport.java:586)

at org.springframework.mail.javamail.JavaMailSenderImpl.doSend(JavaMailSenderImpl.java:403)

at org.springframework.mail.javamail.JavaMailSenderImpl.send(JavaMailSenderImpl.java:342)

at org.springframework.mail.javamail.JavaMailSenderImpl.send(JavaMailSenderImpl.java:338)

at com.jaspersoft.jasperserver.api.engine.scheduling.quartz.ReportExecutionJob.sendMailNotification(ReportExecutionJob.java:1259)

at com.jaspersoft.jasperserver.api.engine.scheduling.quartz.ReportExecutionJob.executeAndSendReport(ReportExecutionJob.java:445)

at com.jaspersoft.jasperserver.api.engine.scheduling.quartz.ReportExecutionJob.execute(ReportExecutionJob.java:231)

at org.quartz.core.JobRunShell.run(JobRunShell.java:195)

at org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool$WorkerThread.run(SimpleThreadPool.java:520)

Also, any way to get JasperServer to alert (email) an administrator on occurrence of any errors? (yes, I recognize the irony of this request).

Thanks! -Ben

benu
Wrote:

OK, slightly different issue, but related: is there a way to get JasperServer to retry e-mail transmission?

Also, any way to get JasperServer to alert (email) an administrator on occurrence of any errors?

JasperServer doesn't have built-in support for either.  Of course, it would be possible to customize JS to do that.

Regards,

Lucian

Thank you Lucian. We'll figure something out. May just end up writing a script that culls any errors from the logs and independently sends out alerts to administrators.

These would be really nice features for JasperServer - would make it a more robust offering! -Ben