Performance on IReports v3.7.1

bgrove

Hello I am using Ireports 3.7.1 and the experience of editing reports has been very slow and tedious.

The machine I am using is a dual core with 4 GB of RAM on Ubuntu 9.10 using Gnome. The RAM is so high that no page swapping occurs, but when I click randomly on different report elements IReports will freeze for 5-10 seconds each time. The CPU spikes up to 100% switching the work to either core1 or core2. 

IReports is a very good tool in my opinion, but the slowness of editing a report with about 40 elements with a styles sheet is becoming too unproductive. 

What can I do to improve performance ? The issue is processing time. Does IReports need to do xml processing each time I click an element and it causes the process to spike cpu 100% ? The look and feel is default/metal so it should save some time on rendering.

Look forward to your response,

Bryant

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What version of Java?

java -version

The only time iReports is slow for me is when I first launch the application. It takes about 5 - 10 seconds before I can use the menus. After that, everything runs at a decent speed. (Opening jrxml files could be faster, though.)

My guess is that you are running the OpenJDK.

Uninstall the OpenJDK in favour of the Sun/Oracle JDK.

java version "1.6.0_14"
Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_14-b08)
Java HotSpot Client VM (build 14.0-b16, mixed mode, sharing)

Post Edited by thangalin at 03/26/2010 16:10

My VM is

java version "1.6.0_15"
Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_15-b03)
Java HotSpot 64-Bit Server VM (build 14.1-b02, mixed mode)

I suppose the HotSpot makes it a Open JDK ? I am using the server vm and not the client ... maybe that is the reason.

thanks for the tip hopefully I can improve things.