$X{} clause - define columnName as an expression

prehlb

I have a challenge for those using the $X{} clause in SQL environments.

The definitive guide (Third Edition) has the following definition for the $X{} clause:

JasperReports has built-in support for two clause functions: IN and NOTIN. Both
functions expect two parameters:

• The SQL column or expression to be used as the left side in the IN/NOT IN clause.
  • The name of the report parameter that will supply the values list. The value of this parameter can either be a java.util.Collection instance or an object or primitive Java array.

Please note the bolded text: "or expression".  I bring this up because I have an interest in having the actual SQL column name be wrapped in a function for checking against the collection for matches.

For example, say we have courses with course ID's.  One column name is COURSE_ID.  But, some of the course ID's begin with certain characters, say "T", "K", "U" and "A" to define say a type of course.  The report on courses might need to break them into two subreports - one for types T and K and the other subreport for U and A.

Now, the SQL query would normally look like:

1. SELECT COURSE_ID, COURSE_NAME FROM COURSE WHERE $X{IN,COURSE_ID, CoursePrefixes}

The parameter $P{CoursePrefixes} is defined as a java.util.Collection and contains ['T','K'], which are the first characters to match against in the COURSE_ID field.

The problem above is that it is not looking at just the first character of the COURSE_ID field, it's looking at all the characters which is not what I need it to do.  I need to have the SQL IN Clause resolve to:

WHERE LEFT(COURSE_ID,1) IN ('T','K')

which means the query should look like:

2. SELECT COURSE_ID, COURSE_NAME FROM COURSE WHERE $X{IN,LEFT(COURSE_ID,1), CoursePrefixes}

But query 2 fails with syntax issues around the "1)".

So, my question is how would you specify an "expression" for a columnName in the $X{} clause such as above?

I have come up with work-arounds such as using MS SQL CTE's and such, but I wanted to know if there's any documentation for how to formulate an expression for the columnName.

Thank you,

Bill

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

used simple text editor to edit the query within the .jrxml file as suggested (not using IReport Designer's query editor which was the one who replaced even after editing ';' or '|' with ',' ) and it worked.

for example:

select * from table where $X{ IN ;(setup_id,lead_id);_PARAMETER_LEAD}

may be i am using old IReport.

• 2 years later...