Calculating Percent of Total for each row

gstephens

Each row of a report has a category with a value.  I'd like to display on each row, the percentage of the total that the value represents:

CatA    10%    100
CatB    78%    780
CatC    12%    120

Total        1,000

I can't get the percentage field to calculate correctly.  I've tried setting different evaluationTime's for the textfield.

<variable name="cat_PCT" class="java.lang.Float" resetType="Group" resetGroup="cat_class">
        <variableExpression><![CDATA[$V{cat_value}.doubleValue()/$V{total_cat}.doubleValue()]]></variableExpression>
    </variable>

<variable name="total_cat" class="java.math.BigDecimal" calculation="Sum">
        <variableExpression><![CDATA[$F{cat_value}.plus()]]></variableExpression>
    </variable>

<textField evaluationTime="Auto" pattern="#,##0.0 %">
  <reportElement x="415" y="0" width="39" height="20"/>
  <textElement textAlignment="Right"/>
  <textFieldExpression class="java.lang.Float"><![CDATA[$V{cat_PCT}]]></textFieldExpression>
</textField>

<textField evaluationTime="Report">
  <reportElement x="254" y="0" width="100" height="20"/>
  <textElement textAlignment="Right"/>
  <textFieldExpression class="java.math.BigDecimal"><![CDATA[$V{total_cat}]]></textFieldExpression>
</textField>

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The First thing you must do it's create a variable that calculates the total, and later create a text field that divide the individual value of each category and total (in the variable you created) and set the evaluation time to auto.

total_cat (show above) is a variable I created to calculate the total.  cat_PCT is the variable where I divide the individual value into the category (however it's a float, not a string as you suggested).  If I change it to a string I get an "error evaluating expression".

I found an example of what jahp00 was referring to in the ShipmentsReport.jrxml sample included with iReport and it worked. Thanks.

<textFieldExpression class="java.lang.String"><![CDATA[msg("{0,number,##0.0%}", new Float($V{cat_value}.floatValue() / $V{total_cat}.floatValue()))]]></textFieldExpression>

Post Edited by gstephens at 10/18/2009 15:39

• 11 months later...