We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

How to connect to a load balanced database

rodriguezum

when i was evaluating the tool this was not a problem, i just need to connect it to the infraestructure and i'm done,  this is a problem shared by all de jaspersoft BI, i'm using all the core tools (ETL, Analysis, Server, Reports) and in none of these seems to work.

this is my tipical connect

jdbc:oracle:thin:@(DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = machine1ip)(PORT = 1521))(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = machine2ip)(PORT = 1521))(LOAD_BALANCE = yes)(CONNECT_DATA = (SERVER = DEDICATED)(SERVICE_NAME = service_destination)))

anyone with the same problem?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure why you are using iReport in a production environment, I always create a .jasper report and use that in production. The connection is then handled by the tnsnames.ora file and the load balancing works correctly. It is only while creating the report inside the IDE that the connection needs to be simplified. I have a number of reports that run against load balanced databases and have no problems. The reports are produced as part of a website application or a UNIX application using Java. I hope this helps.

i use ireport to create a .jasper file, and then upload it to the server, i've never hanbled a .jasper file before, just the xml that is generated by the jrxml, but in there it dows not figure any of the connection parameters, for that i have to define a connection/datasource, and i don't know how you can link it to tnsnames.ora since, i use a Database JDBC connection, and in the jdbc URL try to provide it with my tnsnames.ora connection (the on i display above) and it does not work for me.

Do you write de .jasper ? , i thought that was the job of ireport, i jsut tryed to open one with wordpad :) , and can't view it properly.

What do you use, i'm realizing that there is still a lot i need to learn :/

Thanks for your reply

I use iReport to create a .jasper file which is a compiled version of the .jrxml. This .jasper file is uploaded either to a unix server or as part of a web servlet or website along with the required jar files to produce the reports. The connections to the database are handled outside of the .jasper file. The connection that you are defining inside of iReport is only used to create and preview the report. There are many different methods to define the database connections and I do not pretend to know them all. You will have to use what ever is available to you where you are using the reports. We use different methods to define the connection depending on where the .jasper is stored. 

I hope that this helps make it clearer for you.

By the way you can not read a .jasper at all but the .jrxml can be read using any good text or html/xml editor such as notepad or Ultraedit.

Post Edited by hangman01 at 08/13/2009 14:09

Thanks for the reply, and it cleared a couple of things.

Just still need to know how to connect or put where to put my URL connection in order to work, i'm using the whole Jasper Suite that is, JasperETL, Jasper Analysis, Jasper Server, Ireport.

Suposing now that i just need to define my balanced connection in the ETL and Server, do you know how i can achieve it?

thanks for your time

I am sorry but I am not familar with Jasper Server, we created our own servlets and applications to produce the reports when we needed them. Can someone more familar with Jasper Server jump in here and help out? We currently use only the iReport to build the reports and the required jars to produce them from the applicactions.

• 8 years later...