We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

How to properly Install JasperReports on OS X

xenophex

My system: OS X 20.5.7 on Macbook Pro with Apache 2 running. Running Java 1.6.

I am trying to use JasperReports to print out PDFs of data from an SQL server, however, while installing and see if it works (with simple "hello world" esque. statements). However, whenever I try to run the program, I keep getting NoClassDefFoundError exceptions to various org.apache.* classes. I don't understand this because I have apache server installed on my machine. Everytime I get the error with a class, I go online and manually add the jar to my "/System/Library/Java/extenions" folder. I've done this about a half a dozen times and I'm wondering if I even installed JasperReports proerply.

Can someone explain to me from start to finish how to properly install JasperReports and any other dependancies it might need (preferably a complete org.apache package and complete packages for all other dependancies).

Thank you!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apache 2 != Apache Tomcat

If you want to run your java web app you need to have a web server with servlets/jsp support.

Try to run demo apps that comes with jasperreports in order to be sure that you have everything fine with jasperreports itself. Btw, you need to have Ant installed to do it

I do have ant installed and thanks for the differentiation, I just started to run Tomcat now. I noticed a few less errors, but when I try to run the errors I get the following problems all over the place:

net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JRException: java.io.FileNotFoundException: [file name]

and

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

for several of the demo files. But when I looked at the demo folders, I found that those files were exactly where they were looking for. I don't know what to make of the second Error.

Post Edited by xenophex at 05/26/2009 06:34

Hi xenophex,

you can increase the memory required by your application by increasing the  memory alotted to the JVM , from your IDE

in netbeans you right click your project and go to the properties link from where you will click on the run node and set the parameter via a text field to your right, as regards the exception pls can you paste your code at least the related part in your post so we can trace it together , but before then import the libraries from your jasper destro/dist directory and then  the destro/lib

now the files in here are so many that , you have to know which jar to add by the error the application throws, now you have to be patient here, Good Luck,

Pls did your mac os x come with java 6 or you upgraded you currentJDK , pls can you give me a lead I want to change my jdk from 1.5 to 1.6 , thanx