We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

3D Bar Chart

chr15athome

Hi,

I have a 3D bar chart that displays values from 0-70%. Most of the values are between 0-10% maybe 1 or 2 are upto 70%. Is there anyway of having the scale alternate to make the smaller values look more significant because most of them actually are significant to our client but look insignificant on the chart.

Thanks

Chris

Code:
																																																																																		$F{statisticType}						$F{alternativeDescription}						$V{PERCENTAGE}																																																																																															"Percentage (%)"																																											

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<bar3DChart>
    <chart isShowLegend="false" evaluationTime="Report" customizerClass="chartcustomizer.class">
     <reportElement key="element-1" stretchType="RelativeToBandHeight" x="3" y="26" width="580" height="204"/>
     <box>
      <topPen lineWidth="0.0" lineStyle="Solid" lineColor="#000000"/>
      <leftPen lineWidth="0.0" lineStyle="Solid" lineColor="#000000"/>
      <bottomPen lineWidth="0.0" lineColor="#000000"/>
      <rightPen lineWidth="0.0" lineStyle="Solid" lineColor="#000000"/>
     </box>
     <chartTitle/>
     <chartSubtitle/>
     <chartLegend/>
    </chart>
    <categoryDataset>
     <dataset resetType="None"/>
     <categorySeries>
      <seriesExpression><![CDATA[$F{statisticType}]]></seriesExpression>
      <categoryExpression><![CDATA[$F{alternativeDescription}]]></categoryExpression>
      <valueExpression><![CDATA[$V{PERCENTAGE}]]></valueExpression>
      <itemHyperlink/>
     </categorySeries>
    </categoryDataset>
    <bar3DPlot isShowLabels="true">
     <plot backcolor="#FFFFFF" labelRotation="30.0"/>
     <categoryAxisFormat>
      <axisFormat>
       <labelFont>
        <font fontName="SansSerif" size="12" isBold="false" isItalic="false" isUnderline="false" isStrikeThrough="false" pdfFontName="Helvetica" pdfEncoding="Cp1252" isPdfEmbedded="false"/>
       </labelFont>
       <tickLabelFont>
        <font fontName="SansSerif" size="8" isBold="false" isItalic="false" isUnderline="false" isStrikeThrough="false" pdfFontName="Helvetica" pdfEncoding="Cp1252" isPdfEmbedded="false"/>
       </tickLabelFont>
      </axisFormat>
     </categoryAxisFormat>
     <valueAxisLabelExpression><![CDATA["Percentage (%)"]]></valueAxisLabelExpression>
     <valueAxisFormat>
      <axisFormat tickLabelMask="">
       <labelFont/>
       <tickLabelFont/>
      </axisFormat>
     </valueAxisFormat>
    </bar3DPlot>
   </bar3DChart>

Hi Lucian,

Do you have any examples of how this can be done or a guide?

I have had a quick Google on chart customizers but not much help is available.

Do I write the customizer to extend JRAbstractChartCustomizer?

Do I have to create the chart sparately and send it as an object?

Thanks

Chris

Hi Lucian,

I managed to figure the chart customizer out.

I just need to increase the bar width so that I can display the value of the bars percentage.

My code so far:-

Code:
public void customize(JFreeChart chart, JRChart jrChart) {                        final CategoryAxis categoryAxis = new CategoryAxis("Category");            this.chart = chart;                                             LogarithmicAxis logScale = new LogarithmicAxis("Percentage (%)");                        logScale.setStrictValuesFlag(false);            logScale.setRange(0.00, 100.0);            logScale.setTickLabelsVisible(true);                        chart.getCategoryPlot().setRangeAxis(logScale);            categoryAxis.setUpperMargin(0.5);                   }

• 2 weeks later...

Chris, Lucian,

I also need to implement log-scale plotting.  I am okay with writing my own Chart Customizer.  However, I don't know how to bind my Chart Customerizer to a report.  I am using iReport and JasperServer.  I have read the Ultimate Guide for both iReport and JasperReports, but could not an the answer.

Thanks!

Chris, Lucien,

Oh now I now find a chart field called "Customizer Class"  I guess that is how I bind the chart to the customizer.

I am doing this with the X-Axis of a scatter plot.  I am not too familiar with JFreeChart.  Can you tell me how can I adopt Chris's code so that it would work with X-axis of a scatter plot?

Thanks a lot!

Hi,

Using the following code, I made some progress.  The chart was rendered with the X-axis in log scale.  However, no data were plotted on the chart.

I saw that the Y-axis has been scaled to some meaningful scale meaning that the report had seen the correct data.  It just did not plot them on the chart?

Any idea?

Code:
package com.company;import org.jfree.chart.JFreeChart;import org.jfree.chart.axis.CategoryAxis;import org.jfree.chart.axis.LogarithmicAxis;import net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JRAbstractChartCustomizer;import net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JRChart;public class MyChartCustomizerLogXAxis extends JRAbstractChartCustomizer {	JFreeChart chart;		public void customize(JFreeChart chart, JRChart jrChart) {                this.chart = chart;                                     LogarithmicAxis logScale = new LogarithmicAxis("Orig_Bytes (Log Scale)");                logScale.setStrictValuesFlag(true);        logScale.setRange(0.00, 10.0);        logScale.setTickLabelsVisible(true);                chart.getXYPlot().setDomainAxis(logScale); // No data plotted           }}

Okay I found the problem.  It was my setRange() line that set a wrong range (should use values before taking the logarithm but not after taking the logarithm)

logScale.setRange(0.00, 10.0); // <--- the range was wrongAfter I commented out the line (using auto range), the chart plots correctly.  Thanks you everyone!

Hi Here is the code I ended up using:-

Does anyone know how to change the bar widths in the code below?

Thanks

Chris

Code:
public void customize(JFreeChart chart, JRChart jrChart) {                        final CategoryAxis categoryAxis = new CategoryAxis("Category");            final ValueAxis valueAxis = new LogarithmicAxis("Percentage (%)");            this.chart = chart;                                             LogarithmicAxis logScale = new LogarithmicAxis("Percentage (%)");            //            CategoryPlot plot = null;//            NumberAxis axis = new LogarithmicAxis("Percentage"); //            plot.setRangeAxis(axis);//                        logScale.setStrictValuesFlag(false);            logScale.setRange(0.00, 100.0);            logScale.setAutoTickUnitSelection(true);            //logScale.                                    //logScale.autoAdjustRange();            chart.getCategoryPlot().setRangeAxis(logScale);            categoryAxis.setUpperMargin(0.5);                        //plot.setRangeAxis(logScale);        }

chr15athome
Wrote:

Also I would like to show more values on the vlue axis maybe 0,10,50,100. Is this possible? Thanks Chris

I'm not sure about that, try searching the JFreeChart forums to see whether there is anything about this.

Regards,

Lucian