We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

iReport BUGS ?

olteanra

HI,

I'm having the following problems with iReport 3.1.4:

When opening an existing report, after making any change upon the report design (modifing SQL Query for example):

- the verticalAlignment attribute for all <textElement> tags in the report is set to null, disregarding the already existing values

- the textAlignment attribute is removed from all <textElement> tags in the report

- WhenNoDataType attribute value on the report is set to "NoPages" disregarding my "AllSectionsNoDetail" setting

Is there anyone having these problems? Are they iReport bugs?

Post Edited by Rares Oltean at 03/06/09 10:03

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've solved this problem (sort of), so that now 99% of the time, I do not get a null pointer exception. Here is what I did, In iReport, go to View > Toolbars > Memory. This turns on a button-like memory toolbar. Clicking on this toolbar, forces garbage collection to occur freeing up some memory and possibly some locks on files that were opened in that session (this is my guess). So I make it a habit to frequently run the garbage collect especially before closing the file and before opening a new one. This is also the first thing I do after starting up iReport.

I found that this has considerably reduced the null pointers (99% things work fine now) and if there is still a null pointer, just close iReport and reopen after 15 mins or so (make sure to force garbage collection before closing and after opening). The file usually is not damaged, its just some sort of a lock on it that stops the file from opening in another application too.

First u open an empty report and only u try to open ur reports

Hope this helps!

Thanks & Regards

Ramesh

Hi Ramesh,

Thank you for your quick reply.

In deed opening a new report before opening my report helped. verticalAlignment are no longer being set to null. textAligment attributes are still being modified without my request, but this might be another issue.

Hope these get fixed real soon though. It is very annoying to have to overcome these issues manually everytime.

Cheers,

Rares

Hi,

This is my personal experience using ireport-NB.  Last few months ago . I'm start using 3.13 after 3.14 after that  , and see some strange case

1. VerticalAlignment set to null cause open report error
  2. Some textAlignment rest to left align when last time i set it ro right.
  3. Some variables group & calculation setting were missing.

Of course , I can edit the jrxml file manually to correct the property value.

I have no idea what cause this error. Finally I found that  this was caused when ireport open report file. I try a few times to open the jrxml file , sometimes was correct but sometimes will not read element property value properly and it wil not show any error but just reset the property to default value.  This error occurs in 3.13 % 3.14.

In that time , all reports let me crazy because after I fully test the report. After I made just a litte adjustment cause report corrutped. Lucky if you got a error say property incorrect value but sometimes you got a incorrect setting of report.

I tested in XP, Win2000 , Fedora 10. Same error occur in this 3 OS.

Finally , I give up 3.1.4 and start to useing ireport 2.0.5. This time everything just fine and .

This is just must my  personal opinion .

Kamen Lai

I have been experiencing similar issues as well. In regards to the formatting aspect, I've had a few cases now where the report gets saved minus ALL formatting, resulting in a black and white unformatted version afterwards.

As Rameshinpower already mentioned, this seems to be highly tied to the memory load within iReport. I've noticed that the higher the current memory is compared to the maxiumum memory (as viewed on the memory toolbar) the greater the risk of one of these errors occuring during saving.

If your report does get saved with a null value that makes it impossible to open, I have found that if I edit the file manually with a text editor to fix those null values that I will normally be able to open the file again afterwards.

Also keep in mind that sometimes when it gives the null pointer value error that it is just temporary, in that if you close iReport and attempt to re-open the report a few times it will often open eventually as normal.

Hope some of that helps, as I know it is very frustrating to work on a report and then have it be corupted for no apparent reason. =)

-Scott